1st Lever Espresso Machine, Budget $1500

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
JavaRanger

#1: Post by JavaRanger »

Well I have been kicking around this idea for awhile and thought a lot of you out there could help.

I am looking at getting my first lever espresso machine, budget of about 1,500. I have a Profitec Pro 700 and a Forte Grinder. This machine would see more use on the weekends for here and there at night.

I have been looking at the Elektra microcasa a leva and the La Pavoni Romantica Professional Espresso Maker. I really do like the look of the eagle on top. Although there seem to be a lot of great smaller La Pavoni's out there. I see some people travel with there Europiccola, not sure how the Elektra or Romantica would be with that.

I would like to make a Cappa with it here and there. Also if you could let me know who I might want to purchase it from, you can PM me that if you prefer. I really like Northern Italian type roasts.

JavaRanger (original poster)

#2: Post by JavaRanger (original poster) »

Well after readings lot of the great posts I think the Elektra microcasa is the machine for me. Being I already have a Profitec Pro 700 I would love to taste the difference in the shots.

At besides holiday time we make about 2-4 drinks a day.

Advertisement
sweaner

#3: Post by sweaner »

How about a used Cremina, or even less expensive, a Caravel?
Scott
LMWDP #248

Locopavoni

#4: Post by Locopavoni »

Despite the lower price tag and simple design, the caravel punches well above its weight and can deliver a great shot. However the looks are a bit love or hate and it is a pure espresso machine with no ability to steam.

If you are looking at a Pavoni or an Elektra, the Elektra is a stunning machine, and with the spring you can deliver some consistent shots. Being a spring lever there are less variables to contend with, which depending on your motivation for a lever could be good or bad for you. It also commands a bit more height on the counter.

In my opinion it really comes down to what your motivation is for a lever and how much control you want over the shot.
Personally, I like the control offered by a non spring lever. However, wthr odd sink shot seems inevitable.
LMWDP #537

Marcelnl

#5: Post by Marcelnl »

Second the Caravel option, but what with a Faemina ? i've been using it for a bit over a year now and get some great espresso from it, and very consistent...
Think you need to determine what profile you're lookimg for in order to narrow down the choice..
LMWDP #483

#6: Post by JavaRanger (original poster) »

Hey guys bring this back... Still thinking La Pavoni or Caravel.

Purpose who be to bring when i visit family on a short road trip and the occasional flight.

So smaller is better and cant image it would get heavy use.

I do think having the ability to steam would be nice. Unless you think the shot quality or build is that much better in the Caravel.

Would still need to buy a hand grinder

Also seems like there are a few nice options in the for sale section too!!

flathead1

#7: Post by flathead1 »

I might be stepping into a firestorm but have you considered the Ponte Veccho Export? It is a spring lever and can steam with a small footprint.

If you get into it you are going to quickly read about build quality issues and I can't say what recent experience is but my 5+ year old Export works fine even though there is a slight cant to the head. Peacecup swears by his and if you search on the site you will find multiple comments about it and it's bigger sibling the Lusso.

It seems to meet your budget, steams and makes a darn good shot of espresso.
A Lever and a place to stand ...

LMWDP #152

Advertisement
sonofjorel

#8: Post by sonofjorel »

There is a used Cremina for sale well under your budget over on CG.

#9: Post by JavaRanger (original poster) »

Yep and two nice la pavoni's too=)

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#10: Post by pizzaman383 »

If you're a do-it-yourself kind of guy you can buy a spring lever group and build one for less than $1500.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”