Rusted spring saga continues - Bruni Brunella

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
crazy4espresso

#1: Post by crazy4espresso »

Hello all,

I'm looking for yet another SS spring replacement for an old lever, this time a Bruni Brunella. Thanks to Paul Pratt I was able to replace the spring on my Faemina, but alas my rusted spring saga did not end. Has anyone replaced these springs before or know where a replacement can be sourced?

Measurements:

Roughly,
Length - 102 mm (4 in)
O.D - 34 mm (1.33 in)
coil thickness - 3 mm (0.118 in)
"I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless." — Napoleon Bonaparte
LMWDP #427

crazy4espresso (original poster)

#2: Post by crazy4espresso (original poster) »

CSC Stock # 72674S
OD (in) 1.225
ID (in) 1.001
Free Length (in) 4.000
Rate (lbs/in) 15.000
Sugg. Max Defl. (in) 2.200
Sugg. Max Load (lbs) 33.000

Solid Length (in) 1.250
Wire Dia. (in) 0.112
Total Coils 11.100
Material Stainless
Ends Closed Ground
Finish None

Found this stock production spring. Can someone comment on whether the specs in bold would be appropriate for this application?
LMWDP #427

grog

#3: Post by grog »

I'm of no help with the spring diagnostics, but am curious for other Brunella users to chime in on their experiences with these machines. The Brunella and the Comocafe are two levers that I've never been able to consistently dial in to my satisfaction, and I've concluded it's due to their very strong springs. Grind too coarse and you get watery shots, grind too fine and they just choke. True of any lever, yes, but with these two it seems the ideal middle is very narrow indeed. I wonder if a softer spring would actually be superior. I always found the Peppina to be much easier to use than the Comocafe, for example.
LMWDP #514

cuppajoe

#4: Post by cuppajoe »

For info on the spring, try Francesco - http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/macch ... ia_eng.htm

It took about a year to get fairly consistent with my Faemina with one of Mr Pratts springs in it, which is noticeably stronger than the original. Not sure how that translates to the Brunella. One thing I've noticed is that the Faemina likes darker roasts. Just an old incorrigible Italian I guess.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

Marcelnl

#5: Post by Marcelnl »

Plus one on the faemina, a fine grind and slightly darker than currently favored roasts do well.
As to the spring, did you check Francesco? Knowing the spring strength and piston surface you could probably calculate if it matches, dimensions are probably secondary of it fits.
LMWDP #483

crazy4espresso (original poster)

#6: Post by crazy4espresso (original poster) »

OUTSIDE DIAMETER
1.220 inches
WIRE DIAMETER
0.120 inches
LENGTH
4.000 inches
SPRING RATE
24.99 lbs/inch
MAXIMUM LOAD
41.650 lbs
MAXIMUM DEFL
1.900 inches
MATERIAL
STAINLESS STEEL

Found a spring that seems to match the stock a little better, as far as dimensions, but I'm still not sure if the spring rate is appropriate. I guess if it's a little softer, that might work even better than the stocker.
This place is willing to do custom springs, but I've been told it will be expensive. There is a minimum order for stock springs. Any interest in this if I can successfully test one?
LMWDP #427