Ratio Brewer - Just Got Mine

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
DouloScott

#1: Post by DouloScott »

I finally just received my Ratio Brewer and I am super excited. Though it has taken over a year longer to get to me than was anticipated, I am glad that I held in there and did not ask for a refund.

Included in the shipment were the brewer, an Able black silicone Chemex lid, a custom Able Kone for Ratio, a high quality microfiber cloth and a bottle of Ratio Coffee Machine Wash (made by Urnex - Citric Acid).

I look forward to playing with this over the next week, but here are my unpacking photos:
Higher Res Photo Library https://www.flickr.com/gp/128678069@N08/A5Na9V

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Beautiful engineering. I look forward to reading your thoughts on it.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

johnny4lsu

#3: Post by johnny4lsu »

what Tom said, that's a gorgeous machine

jbviau
Supporter ★

#4: Post by jbviau »

Congrats, and thanks for the pics! I'll look forward to reading more of your impressions. My understanding is that all of the tubing inside is glass--it's a wonder they can ship the machine safely.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

DouloScott (original poster)

#5: Post by DouloScott (original poster) »

It has been a busy several weeks, sorry for the delayed follow-up.

I have used the Ratio as my work coffee brewer as I have my own personal office. This means that I have brewed about 20 batches with this brewer. It took me three or four batches to figure out the correct grind and water:coffee ratio. For my tastes I use 65g of coffee ground at 13 on a Lido3 for a full batch of coffee (~1100g water) or a 1:17 ratio of coffee to water. A full batch takes almost exactly six minutes to brew which includes exactly 60 seconds of bloom time.

For the first couple weeks I used the included custom Able Kone filter and have enjoyed it, very clean coffee. This week I have exclusively used Chemex filters and the coffees I have been brewing (Ruby Ethiopia Kochere and Kenya Gakuyuni AA from Langora Kaffebrenneri) have both REALLY shined. Juicy, fruity and sparkling clean coffee.

I haven't yet brewed half batches as I wanted to work out the kinks with a standard brew volume to learn from.

My personal/totally subjective opinions are:
-I really like the coffee it brews, It hands down beats my Technivorm Moccamaster KBT741 and it definitely beats any hand poured Chemex's that I have brewed.
-The fit and finish of the machine is impeccable and truly high class.
-I really like that it is all glass, metal and wood. I also like that it is made in America.
-Is it worth the $385 that I paid for it? Probably for the previous reasons.
-Is it worth the $500+ that it will ultimately retail for, probably not.

My final thought is that this brewer is truly consistent. Which is probably pretty high praise.

Here are some more photos of it brewing.

coffeemmichael

#6: Post by coffeemmichael »

DouloScott wrote: Included in the shipment were the brewer, an Able black silicone Chemex lid, a custom Able Kone for Ratio
I'm currently using a standard Kone v3 with my wilfa, and the continuous pour of water into the kone prevents proper draining & extraction.

Two questions:
1) after the bloom, does the ratio continually drip?
2) any idea on if the custom kone drains faster than the kone v3?

DouloScott (original poster)

#7: Post by DouloScott (original poster) »

The Ratio does a slow continuous pulse pour after the initial 60 second bloom. The Ratio version of the Kone I believe does have slightly larger holes as it is specifically designed for larger batches/higher coffee doses.

X-Berg

#8: Post by X-Berg »

...Ratio Brewer - never heard before, but it looks very nice.
Thanks for sharing.
LMWDP #538

Viernes

#9: Post by Viernes »

Oh, wow. Very elegant, but too expensive I think. Thx for share.

Seems lot of more comfortable than pour by hand, which I hate it. Specially when I wake up. :x