"F**k cupping" by Colin Harmon

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
tennisballs

#1: Post by tennisballs »

https://tinyurl.com/effe-cupping-colin-harmon

A really interesting presentation by Colin that questions the overemphasis on cupping.

forbeskm

#2: Post by forbeskm »

A great thoughtful discussion. More about the system and the goals of it then the deep in the weeds single issue focus.

Thanks for posting

cimarronEric
Sponsor

#3: Post by cimarronEric »

This is a fantastic presentation and discussion. Not to be missed.
Cimarron Coffee Roasters
www.cimarronroasters.com

Marshall

#4: Post by Marshall »

I think a cupping class is a great educational experience for consumers who want to dig more deeply into the coffee sourcing process. But I never thought it had any value to them as a regular practice at home. What's in the cup by your preferred brewing method(s) is all that matters.
Marshall
Los Angeles

weebit_nutty

#5: Post by weebit_nutty replying to Marshall »

Cupping is a roaster's tool that's all.

If people find value in it as a consumer activity, great. But as a regular practice for the consumer, I agree it's not that important.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

Spitz.me

#6: Post by Spitz.me »

It was a great presentation to watch because it generally aligns with my view on my own practice at home. The practice that has changed incredibly over the last four to five years.

His presentation is about using common sense. Ground your decisions to what actually matters. Perfect timing, what with the EG-1 reveal and all. :wink:

His anecdote about 600 cup-a-year cafes was fantastic also.
LMWDP #670

kahvedelisi

#7: Post by kahvedelisi »

Marshall wrote:I think a cupping class is a great educational experience for consumers who want to dig more deeply into the coffee sourcing process. But I never thought it had any value to them as a regular practice at home. What's in the cup by your preferred brewing method(s) is all that matters.
every single person I know/met, who attended to a cupping class/session of sorts, considers themselves an expert after the experience. And they usually seal it with an instagram picture (planar view of cupping spoon over dirty sneakers) or post a tweet such as "Kochere from Ethiopia is awesome! I am not drinking Sidamo or Yirgacheffe ever again! Thank you Kochere!"

Not to mention, there are those "professional" roasters who "cup" for espresso.
Resistance is futile. You will be caffeinated!

aecletec

#8: Post by aecletec replying to kahvedelisi »

This is less a problem with cupping than with the people doing it... Haven't had a similar experience from several cupping/palate education sessions.

weebit_nutty

#9: Post by weebit_nutty »

kahvedelisi wrote: Not to mention, there are those "professional" roasters who "cup" for espresso.
Well well, tell me why this is wrong, expert ;)

I cup for both. Generally it's the same experience just more intense, so I don't "not" see the value in it the way you do.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

kahvedelisi

#10: Post by kahvedelisi replying to weebit_nutty »

Because, with espresso --unlike other methods such as filter, Turkish, french press etc-- the cupping results almost never applies to actual brewed cup.
Because, with espresso you would need time for degassing. Cupping within hours after you roast it and cupping 5 days later would give different results.
Because, with cupping you need to roast very light to be able to get those aromatics. However, espresso would not brew right at that level of roast.
To my own experience, the best way is to roast, wait for at least 4 to 5 days, pull the shot. Not satisfied with the results? Tweak roasting and try again. That is why it is so hard to roast for espresso. And in my honest opinion, that is also the reason some of the roasters do not even bother. You would get 5 to 15 coffee offerings for all other brew methods, but you would get 1 to 2 espresso offerings from majority of new wave roasters. And there are those who say their roast would work great for all methods including espresso. It is indeed unrealistic (again to my own experience) such roast level or coffee exists which works well with filter, french press, moka pot, turkish, espresso.

And thanks for your kind compliment, but no thanks, I am not an expert. I am just a good old consumer :lol:
Resistance is futile. You will be caffeinated!