Compak K10 single dosing requires WDT? - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
sqroot3

#21: Post by sqroot3 »

F1 wrote:I got a K10PB and I single dose mostly, but I find myself having to WDT always in order to get a good tasting shot. It doesn't matter how much time I spend distributing and preparing the puck I always get channeling when single dosing if I don't WDT.
I use a K10 with an unmodified doser and I generally need to WDT or else I will occasionally get a gusher with my stock breville dual boiler double (single-walled, of course) basket.

PuraVida

#22: Post by PuraVida »

Late to the thread but I use an unmodified K10 Fresh and initially found WDT critical as it clumped and often produced gushers on my Duetto 3.

After about six months of use the clumping went away (no idea why as I keep the machine clean inside and out), however the gushing still happened without WDT.

I no longer need to WDT after buying a St Anthony Industries tamp custom fitted to a 20g VST basket. WDT or no it produces nearly identical and consistently good results now.

F1 (original poster)

#23: Post by F1 (original poster) »

When stuff like this is reported. That is some people say they don't have to WDT at all while other can't get a descent pour without it. The only answer lies in Compak's quality control/assembly tolerances. They are all over the place. In other words it is a lottery when you buy a Compak grinder.

Also, probably the reason they introduced that parallel burr system with their new models. A way to maybe fix the issue without acknowledging the issue.

dsc

#24: Post by dsc »

How exactly does the above indicate a quality control issue? OP stated that using a correctly sized tamper fixed the problem, so I'm baffled as to how you arrived at your conclusion.

T.

Mrboots2u

#25: Post by Mrboots2u »

F1 wrote:When stuff like this is reported. That is some people say they don't have to WDT at all while other can't get a descent pour without it. The only answer lies in Compak's quality control/assembly tolerances. They are all over the place. In other words it is a lottery when you buy a Compak grinder.

Also, probably the reason they introduced that parallel burr system with their new models. A way to maybe fix the issue without acknowledging the issue.
Problem is more likely the mano and combination of other factors ( tamper , coffee , skillz ) > I would bet the only consistent thing is the QC at a manufacturer like Compak

Spitz.me

#26: Post by Spitz.me »

F1 wrote:I got a K10PB and I single dose mostly, but I find myself having to WDT always in order to get a good tasting shot. It doesn't matter how much time I spend distributing and preparing the puck I always get channeling when single dosing if I don't WDT. If I use the hopper then I don't have to WDT and I get a good shot with not much time spent preparing the puck. Is this normal?
I had the same issue* for many years until just about a month or so ago when I happened upon the 'vertical tapping' thread. Essentially, it's tapping to settle the grinds. But, what I've started doing, and it works every time now without using WDT, is nutating before I level and tamp. It may not reduce my prep time, but I like that I don't have to fidget with yet another dosing tool.

* I don't think it's an issue, it's just annoying.
LMWDP #670

Manyjobs23

#27: Post by Manyjobs23 »

I have a k10 and I only use a 20gr Vst basket, the only method that always works for me is to stear coffee with a toothpick, with any coffee bean from large pacamara to small Ethiopian hairloom varieties I get an absolute clump free grind but if I don't stear I mostly get donut extractions.My doses are always between 19-21gr.I would be thankful if someone posted a video with an alternative routine that is as much consistent but less time consuming.