Pharos 2 Modifications - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Chert

#11: Post by Chert »

To fix this problem I built a holder from three thicknesses of 3/4 baltic ply that elevate the grinder and let you grind directly into a measuring cup or portafilter. Much better. You could make the base out of plastic (I have included an stl), but wood is better for this.
Impressive work.

I am most impressed by the novelty of a self-made doser for the Pharos. I don't recall ever seeing one. I find the description you post a bit difficult to follow and the picture (the middle one of the right column) doesn't clarify for me.

But anyway very impressive. Does look tidier too than the modifications I made for my two P1.
LMWDP #198

HoldTheOnions

#12: Post by HoldTheOnions »

Agreed, a youtube would go a long ways here.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#13: Post by baldheadracing replying to HoldTheOnions »

I'll do a YouTube of mine after I get it back from the printers. There are a few more pics at the Dropbox- I found them helpful in making things easier to see.

FYI, printing the two bean hopper pieces cost me under $20US.
Also, Microsoft has a free utility - 3d Builder - that lets you see the print files in 3d. The utility is included in Win 10, download for Win8
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

OldNuc

#14: Post by OldNuc »

Perfectly clear to me, no need for a Cecil B. DeMille production for a rotating funnel mounted on the adjustment collar. If a bean fragment gets caught under the lower edge of the funnel it will tighten the grind if it lifts the collar and hilarity will ensue when attempting to pull the shot though. Must allow for some vertical free motion with the lower clearance determined by the degree of fit/clearance on the collar and the lower limit by the clearance between the hole in the collar and the adjuster clamp screw.

HoldTheOnions

#15: Post by HoldTheOnions »

Good for you, but I'm guessing most of us would be interested in seeing his awesome work in action, that is if he wants to makes millions of people happier than they knew was even possible.

Dave Arnold (original poster)

#16: Post by Dave Arnold (original poster) »

Howdy,
The Pharos lives in Connecticut, where I am only on the weekend. I'll try to shoot a video on Saturday.
Regarding the doser, I think someone with a Pharos and a 3d printer could probably go a long way to improve my design --I still have some grinds retention problems.
As I mentioned in my previous post, there is room for improvement in the the way the funnel attaches to the ring --I might try to make a version with a retaining groove (If I can find time).

baldheadracing
Team HB

#17: Post by baldheadracing »

So I had the parts printed at a local 3dhubs printer, and have been using the grinder for the past few days.

The extended base fits pretty much perfectly with almost zero clearance to the top plate. The split collar is a tight fit as well; I had to remove the split collar's adjustment bolt to fit the base over the collar. Note that the old Pharos' handle is mounted slightly differently from the Pharos 2, so the handle can be raised higher or lower on the axle.

After the above pic was taken I lowered the handle as much as possible as the Pharos 2 handle must sit lower than the old Pharos' handle as the funnel doesn't sit flat on the base - the funnel rests on the handle where the green arrow points. It is only a couple mm and would be easy to fix with a dremel cut-off wheel and a razor blade.

In use, the funnel is awesome! I just load the beans and crank. I don't worry about the beans going down into the Pharos' hopper - the turning motion feeds the beans in. I do cap the funnel with an old filter basket to catch fly-outs - but this is much more convenient than 'fiddling' with the rubber popper stopper (tm).

All in all a great mod! Thanks for posting the files! 8)
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

mjoets

#18: Post by mjoets »

Another way to make grinding easier. With a light roast I can use both hands to turn the crank.

randyh

#19: Post by randyh »

Dave Arnold wrote:Howdy,
The Pharos lives in Connecticut, where I am only on the weekend. I'll try to shoot a video on Saturday.
Regarding the doser, I think someone with a Pharos and a 3d printer could probably go a long way to improve my design --I still have some grinds retention problems.
As I mentioned in my previous post, there is room for improvement in the the way the funnel attaches to the ring --I might try to make a version with a retaining groove (If I can find time).
Hi Dave,

Thanks for posting this, and great job! I'm sure quite a few of us would be very interested in a video of your Pharos in action. Care to make one? :D

Derno

#20: Post by Derno »

Here is my voodooesque grind adjustment mod. I'm Planning a lower bearing bracket mod for easier grounds removal. I'm thinking about trying a malghut grist like drawer possibly using a modified stainless candy scoop... We'll see.