Almost bought a Speedster

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
duke-one

#1: Post by duke-one »

Almost bought a Speedster before settling on a Linea about 4 years ago. Turned out OK because poor health makes a bit of automation worth while. Probably not a big deal but every time I see the Speedster I kinda sorta wish I had got it instead. Duke

...split from Speedster Espresso Machine Review by moderator...

LaMarzooka

#2: Post by LaMarzooka »

duke-one wrote:Almost bought a Speedster before settling on a Linea about 4 years ago. Turned out OK because poor health makes a bit of automation worth while. Probably not a big deal but every time I see the Speedster I kinda sorta wish I had got it instead. Duke
Wow. I see the that today's pricing of the LM Linea ($9.5k at EPNW) is definitely in Speedster territory. While it's not an automatic machine, the Speedster is about as simple as an espresso machine gets to operate.

What I really find impressive beyond using the machine though is the build craftsmanship and excellent support provided by KvdW that continues 5+ years post-sale. Most of Speedster's growing list of features and refinements have been made available as updates for buyer's of earlier models, and they come with easy-to-follow instructions. It's a real joy to maintain.
Espresso or no go!

Advertisement
duke-one (original poster)

#3: Post by duke-one (original poster) »

Have had very little maintenance on the Linea: group gaskets (just put in one of the new silicone types), one pressure switch, one expansion valve. It is pretty roomy inside so any work needed is easier. Duke

FastGlass

#4: Post by FastGlass »

So, this is four years on. Is this about regret? Is the Linea not doing something for your mornings that the Speedster would...other than looking sexy as all hell? :)
Not much I can add with such an open ended post, but I will say that I've dealt with this before a few times in a different arena. I have a thing for classic, and newer Ducatis amongst other things. Before our son was born, they released a "SportClassic 1000"...think modern naked cafe racer. I almost had the means...was going to order as they only brought about 420 to the states (of this particular model), and I knew it was limited to two years production. I had other sports cars and about 6 bikes at that time, so I didn't bite. I thought about it every single time I was on one of the others. Every time. Finally, my wife comes home and announces the surprise impending birth of our first child...a boy. In the immediate days following, I tracked down a guys show piece, wipe it with a diaper living room queen....perfect mint condition. Shipped it here, cleaned her up, fueled her up and drove it all around for a week.
Then I drained it completely and it's being stored in my garage until our son is 16. Recently he asked about it and I told him it's "totally messed up". I feel great having it, knowing I COULD hop on it anytime etc...but more so knowing it didn't slip away, and that the boy will get it one day.
If it was me, and I was still finding myself pining away for another machine, even when using a perfectly acceptable one already, well....
I'd be learning to speak freaky deakey Dutch right now.

weebit_nutty

#5: Post by weebit_nutty »

"I settled for an ice white Lambo but deep down always wanted California orange.." ah first world problems lol

Well I always wanted a new Cremina but kept trying to find the most perfect 67. But there was always something.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

duke-one (original poster)

#6: Post by duke-one (original poster) »

FastGlass: No regrets, just musing. Turn it on soon after waking, make coffee about 45-60 minutes later. I turn 66 on Monday and I am quite sure the Linea will be my last "upgrade". Duke

AssafL

#7: Post by AssafL »

Notwithstanding the fun of looking at a brand new machine, I deal with the inevitable upgradetitis by intentionally buying a hack able machine.

Lineas and GS3 are commercial grade machines and are very hackable. People here added pressure profiling, I added line level preinfusion and flow rate limits and so on.

I have a special version of the firmware that allows for extremely long pulls.

When I read of a new machine that does something intriguing I can build it and learn how it operates and decide if I like it or not.

Failed hacks exist as well. My attempt to put a OLED display failed.

Again, it lacks the new product appeal, but I compensate by knowing my machine is hacked my way. It is one of a kind. It looks like a stock GS3 - but it isn't.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

Advertisement
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by JohnB. »

Well I did buy the Speedster 6 years ago. No regrets either. I've added all the improvements that Kees has made since #46 was built that I felt were useful. I expect that it will be on my coffeebar for many years to come.
LMWDP 267

tohenk2

#9: Post by tohenk2 »

FastGlass wrote: If it was me, and I was still finding myself pining away for another machine, even when using a perfectly acceptable one already, well....
I'd be learning to speak freaky deakey Dutch right now.
I could help you a bit with the learning to speak Dutch thing - but I'm pretty sure there's no need :D

FastGlass

#10: Post by FastGlass replying to tohenk2 »

Nope! But thanks for the offer. I had been "pining away" for a Slayer for years, and just made that happen ;)