Drum diameter vs load - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
dominico
Team HB

#21: Post by dominico »

Bodka Coffee wrote:There is a formula for finding your drum size vs load. Let me see if I can find a link.

Found it- Roast size (ounces) = Drum Volume (cubic inches)/10
Wow, my batch capacity much be huge! I've poured over 6 gallons of water into my perforated drum so far and it still isn't full!
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

civ

#22: Post by civ »

Hello:
billsey wrote: ...
If all the heat is reflected back into your drum the beans will absorb it much faster. What you need to be figuring with is not the BTUs of the burner as much as the BTUs directed into the bean mass.
[hint: you might want to rethink the 'no insulation' part of your design]
Of course ...

But the thing is that it would seem that 20000 BTUs may be a helluva BTUs for roasting 500 grams.
If I add insulation, it may get to be nuclear meltdown. =-D

eg: for the time being, I use a manual roaster (small extinguisher drum, non perforated and hand handle turned, w/one 1750 kcal open flame burner, no insulation) with which I roast ~ 200 grams and sometimes I think I am a bit short on heating power.

As it's a 'look and see' operation with no proper heat control, just 'flame height' adjustment with J thermocouple and data logger, I take my L&S impressions with a few grains of salt.

But the question remains: is 20000 BTUs overkill for 500 grams? Or is it OK as some Huky 500 players say?

Methinks it may just end up being a test and see thing ...

Thanks for your input.

Cheers,

CIV