Pharos Grinding

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
walt_in_hawaii

#1: Post by walt_in_hawaii »

I've had it a few days now and all I can say is, "C'MON GIRLY-MAN! GRINNNDDDD!!"

dominico
Team HB

#2: Post by dominico »

Well, there is always this option:
Motorizing a Pharos
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

sweaner

#3: Post by sweaner »

An extended handle helps immensely. Also, see my post below.

Pharos: Making Grinding Easier with a "Grinding Bar"
Scott
LMWDP #248

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by emradguy »

Rest assured, it gets easier as you break in the burrs. If you can mount it on a bench or large heavy board with the available bench dogs, it'll allow you to focus your efforts on grinding, instead of holding it still while you flail. It's also easier if you're using a darker roast...and you might want to get some sh**ty charred beans just to break it in...unless you do the motorized thing.
LMWDP #748

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#5: Post by jwCrema »

Hiya Walt -
Checkout this thread Pharos + Fitness = Fun!

walt_in_hawaii (original poster)

#6: Post by walt_in_hawaii (original poster) »

Hmm, I was playing with the idea of fitting an electric drill to it as suggested, then thinking maybe I should develop some sort of 'Save the Human Palm" implement like a funnel/chute for the grounds to exit neatly from the bottom, then why not motorize it and get rid of the handle and add another funnel/loading chute to the top? ...but watched OE's video and one part of it stuck, aside from the fact that Doug didn't get get his ZZ Top beard caught in the grinder long ago; he counts the revolutions to finish a grind, and noted that about 35 turns is usually in the ballpark. Since then, I have been counting turns of the handle and darn if he didn't hit it right on! When I finish around 35 turns, give or take, it is about right... for some beans (seems to be dependent on roast level), they just come out coarser and I have to tighten down or loosen up, but 35 turns seems pretty close. I just went about 40 turns on my last batch, and the pull took 1:35 and I had to press down quite firmly, enough so that the EP was trying to scoot away from me. I might have to think of building a better base for it, or finding a better material to put it on as tiles don't seem to be cutting it. I find myself pulling UP on the PF handle as I'm pulling DOWN on the piston handle in my effort to avoid admitting its a choke. In my mind I'm hearing the boiler flange groaning under the huge burden exerted by my tiny asian biceps, which love to take on more than they can handle, but speak with a distinct austrian-inspired accent (like Arnold.... Ahl bee boch).

Surprisingly, I expected the shot to be undrinkable, but it turned out not too bad (I'm juggling dose, this shot was 12g); not bitter at all. Hmmmmm.... I think I'll keep it hand ground, simply because it's easier to dial in the grind this way. I've been roasting small amounts of all sorts of green beans, looking to build up my taste map in my head; so there hasn't been time to establish much of a protocol with grind size as the beans change willy nilly all the time.

KevinAlvord

#7: Post by KevinAlvord »

That is hilarious! It really seems like you have the right attitude to be hand grinding and lever pulling shots.
LMWDP #532

Seed65

#8: Post by Seed65 »

walt_in_hawaii wrote: I had to press down quite firmly, enough so that the EP was trying to scoot away from me. I might have to think of building a better base for it, or finding a better material to put it on as tiles don't seem to be cutting it. I find myself pulling UP on the PF handle as I'm pulling DOWN on the piston handle in my effort to avoid admitting its a choke. In my mind I'm hearing the boiler flange groaning under the huge burden exerted by my tiny asian biceps, which love to take on more than they can handle, but speak with a distinct austrian-inspired accent (like Arnold.... Ahl bee boch).

Surprisingly, I expected the shot to be undrinkable, but it turned out not too bad (I'm juggling dose, this shot was 12g); not bitter at all. Hmmmmm.... I think I'll keep it hand ground, simply because it's easier to dial in the grind this way. I've been roasting small amounts of all sorts of green beans, looking to build up my taste map in my head; so there hasn't been time to establish much of a protocol with grind size as the beans change willy nilly all the time.
I am working through the same issues with my Europiccola and HG-One. We seem to be following a similar pathway to espresso extraordinaire..lol I will let you know once get to that destination. :)

doublehelix

#9: Post by doublehelix »

waitIH-- I am enjoying your postings! ZZ Top-- that's exactly what I thought the first time I saw a shot of Doug. Interesting beard = great grinders

FWIW-- I have simply motorized my Pharos2015 by removing the beautiful handle and replacing it with a homely hex nut, propped up on a stack of washers--an lithium electrical drill now spins the burr instead of my arm. I also use an OE bench dog, supplemented with some home made gizmos that free me from having to hold the grinder. Works like a charm.

What I like most about the motorized Pharos is that obviating the handle makes it much easier for me to remove grounds.

My next project is to take an old battery-powered drill and permanently mount in some way to power the Pharos, yet offer convenient release for removing grounds. Not sure I want to do real mechanical surgery on the grounds bin......yet....

grog

#10: Post by grog »

Slight thread drift, but here's one about how folks have modified their Pavoni bases to provide more stability and weight. Check out Rio's post on Page 2 for a serious mod:

Possible mods or improvements to the La Pavoni base plate?
LMWDP #514