Mazzer Major (on/off) electronics - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
double0 (original poster)

#21: Post by double0 (original poster) »

LukeFlynn wrote:Mine is a 2000 and it is in immaculate condition minus a few paint blemishes and scratches on the doser... I'm thinking it wasn't used much. You should post a picture, I'm wondering if it has the old school doser like my first SJ did.

Will do.. i am now on to removing the stator to get it powder coated. Now, if only i can come up with a genious way to remove the bottom burr carrier other than a puller or long screws.. screws mess up the threads and a puller is to expensive for my fix-it-from-bottom-up, low-budget style.lol

I came up with a pretty proud puller to remove the stator for under $15 and it works great. I guess i might as well build a similar one for the burr carrier :idea:

sprint jinx

#22: Post by sprint jinx »

I'd like to promote the idea of stripping the outer paint and leaving the finish clean. I bought one a few months ago in this condition and its a nice natural finish of buffed silver. Just a thought, instead of going through the trouble of removing everything and powder coating. And, with the stainless funnel I have, its all matchy matchy.

Also, I have noticed that single dosing with the Major, while quick, causes the last of the bean dose to bounce around before being ground. I think that this leads to chips and fines. I've sort of proved this with the following experiment. If I grind a double dose, at 34 grams, and then weigh out the first 17g by spooning grounds into another cup on my balance, then each shot behaves nicely in the naked portafilter basket view, throughout the shot. Single doses of 17 grams may start out nice, but I tend to get alot more fissures and squirt streams in the shot. I have repeated this test many times to show that it is not my technique, but the output of the grinder that matters more.
I may make a mini hopper that would be sealed to exposure, I may put a darkroom timer on it, or use a scale and weight switched mechanism.
For now though, I try to grind out more than one 17g dose.

double0 (original poster)

#23: Post by double0 (original poster) replying to sprint jinx »

I like your idea.. What are your recomendations for the grit sizes. I also just bought a polishing kit with a (grey and white compount) so you kinda read my mind. :wink:

I'll hit it with a 320 grit random orbit sander and make my way up by hand.

sprint jinx

#24: Post by sprint jinx »

Even if you start with a more aggressive grit, the swirls left behind do not detract from the finish. I prefer the rougher finish. The shinier polish makes it look too blingy. If left buff, it tends to look more vintage and industrial.

I think I'd start at 220 and stop at 800.

p