Insulation on HX espresso machine boilers?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
wearashirt

#1: Post by wearashirt »

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to ask why NS doesn't put insulation on their copper boilers. Is it conceivable to wrap one yourself? I suppose it would translate to energy savings? The boiler turns on and off very frequently.

Tell me your thoughts!

trumz

#2: Post by trumz »

Hei. I've insulated the boiler on my Appia but I didn't test a before and after so I don't know how it affected p stat cycle.
here is a video I took of the p stat cycle and also in the video you can see the insulation job.

What is your p stat cycle time?

Advertisement
bluesman

#3: Post by bluesman »

wearashirt wrote:Hi everyone!

I just wanted to ask why NS doesn't put insulation on their copper boilers. Is it conceivable to wrap one yourself? I suppose it would translate to energy savings? The boiler turns on and off very frequently.

Tell me your thoughts!
It must provide more effective cup warming. I use header wrap tape from my speed shop to insulate - it's effective, cheap, easy, and not too ugly.

wearashirt (original poster)

#4: Post by wearashirt (original poster) »

trumz wrote:Hei. I've insulated the boiler on my Appia but I didn't test a before and after so I don't know how it affected p stat cycle.
here is a video I took of the p stat cycle and also in the video you can see the insulation job.

What is your p stat cycle time?
That's a very conservative heat loss rate! Definitely, my machine loses heat faster. Is that a one group?

trumz

#5: Post by trumz »

Yes 1 group with 208-240v, 1800w heating element.

I thought of going the exhaust manifold wrap route, but ended up using Armaflex. Lots of info if your use the search.

MinistryofEspresso

#6: Post by MinistryofEspresso »

Simonelli does wrap its boilers on many of their machines. First it was the Oscars, now even the T3 gets a wrap. The Linea PB as well. Strangely, the Appia and Aurelia does not come wrapped.

Grant

#7: Post by Grant »

I insulated the boiler on my Elektra A3 many years ago so I don't remember the exact numbers, but it cut down the pressurestat cycles a huge amount. Granted, the A3 has a pretty large boiler as well so not sure how that plays into things.

Roughly, I vaguely recall it used to cycle every 20 seconds or so. After insulating, it cycles only once every 3 minutes. I just took a quick timing and it took 3:10 (machine is on 24/7 and has been for years, so that has probably saved a lot of power). Still plenty hot on top...

Edit: Just dug up an old post of mine from years back when I had a Bricoletta....
My plumbers here at work found me some (what they call fire padding) insulation as I could not find ceramic matting anywhere...but it may be the same thing. So, yesterday I pulled some around the new Bric's boiler. Wow...amazing difference in cycle times. I have my boiler set to cycle between 0.9 and about 1.05, and it used to cycle every 45 seconds or so at least....now I am lucky to hear the "click" every 5 minutes. I left the ends clear as well, and since I was in there (and have the automatic version of the Bric), also insulated the Gicar controls away from the main boiler area.
Grant

Advertisement
petr0x

#8: Post by petr0x »

Hi,
what type of insulation do you use? I am starting thinking of isolate my huge boiler on LaScala too, but I could not find any suitable material. I can get some foamy plastic insulations, but this seems not good for hot boiler. I remember there is mineral wool wrapped in Aluminium sheet on one machine I have had, but I am not able to find this where to buy. The only mineral wool I can find is for house isolation, which is way too thick.
Thanks for suggestions.

trumz

#9: Post by trumz replying to petr0x »