Cloudy espresso from Rancilio Silvia

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
leobarr

#1: Post by leobarr »

I have had this machine (Rancilio Silvia S) for around 6 years and generally drink my coffee as an espresso.
The last couple of months the coffee has been coming out looking more like muddy water albeit dark with a slightly bitter flavour.I grind my own coffee using a small Bodum coffee grinder.
I am very confused as to what the problem is I tried resetting the temperature with the red button in the machine . I am wondering if for some reason the pressure output has changed. I am getting a creamy head on the coffee but the coffee as said is cloudy.
Should I play around with the pressure or am I not grinding the coffee fine enough?
I am currently at a loss as to what is going wrong I have not had issues with this machine before it has always seemed simple to use and grinding the coffee has not been an issue in the past.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Beezer

#2: Post by Beezer »

I'm not sure what you mean by "cloudy" espresso. Espresso should have a head of crema that forms on top, and the coffee below should be very dark brown, almost black, once the crema finishes forming. So are you saying that the liquid below the crema is muddy or cloudy even after the crema has formed?

What kind of coffee are you using? How fresh is it? Stale beans are often the source of problems with bad espresso. Your beans should be very fresh for optimum results, i.e. roasted within the last two weeks. If you're using coffee that's been sitting on the shelf for months, then you're never going to get good results. You should also get the best quality beans you can find, like from one of the recommended roasters on this site. It will make a huge difference to the flavor of your shots.

Also, is that "small Bodum grinder" a burr grinder? It sounds like it might be one of the cheap whirly blade grinders that are so common. These grinders are incapable of making a good espresso shot, since they don't produce a consistent grind size that allows for a proper extraction. You really need a good burr grinder to make espresso. Even a cheap burr grinder won't do the job, since you won't have enough control over grind size. You need something that's got plenty of adjustment range and good quality burrs. The Baratza Preciso (approximately $300) is probably about the cheapest burr grinder that most people here would recommend for making espresso, and prices go up from there. There are some good hand grinders too, for less money, but you need to be willing to do more work and be patient.

Finally, have you tried cleaning your machine? Built up grounds and coffee oils can greatly affect the color and flavor of your espresso. You should try taking apart the shower screen on the group head and scrubbing everything clean. Regular cleaning and backflushing with detergent are also highly recommended.

You may want to consult with the FAQ's on this site for more tips on cleaning and pulling good shots. Good luck.
Lock and load!

leobarr (original poster)

#3: Post by leobarr (original poster) »

Beezer
I am getting a head of crema the coffee below is a light brown color and looks silty or muddy(the coffee is Colombian Agustino Forest which I bought three days ago from a coffee wholesalers.
What I am finding is that this seems to be happening with other coffees as well I had a problem with Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee a couple of months ago and put it down to a bad batch.
I am aware that the grinder is a cheap whirley blade grinder I have tried both grinding for less time & more time in case the grind is too course or fine not something I have had an issue with in the past normally I grind until the note changes this has worked in the past. I do have a thermomix that is probable more than capable of grinding I am not sure that I have the funds to get a Barataza at this time . (one thought is I could get some ground coffee to see if this proves that the problem is with the grinder not that it probable deserves to be called that)
I regularly clean the shower screen . I have run white vinegar through the boiler something I do roughly every couple of weeks .
I am wondering if for some reason there is too much pressure - the water forcing through the coffee too quickly I have found that if the coffee is finely ground this slows the flow of water through the coffee . Since you point Katy the quality of the grinder could it be that it is tired and that either I should replace the grinder or increase the time to grind the coffee.
I have had a good five or more years without any issues I always drink my coffee as an espresso in glass espresso cups .
The Rancilio Silvia does not strike me as a machine where much can go wrong except that I do not have a thermometer to check the temperature nor does it have a pressure gauge . I have made too many expressos today to further play .
I shall try grinding for longer to produce a finer grind tomorrow to see if this is the cause.

Thank you for the swift reply and I will add an update if I can find the solution.

I also sent a mail to Rancilio to see if they have any advise for me

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

Is the coffee cloudy, or is the water cloudy?

In other words, make a shot with no coffee and look at it.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

#5: Post by leobarr (original poster) »

The coffee is cloudy the water is okay.
Having read some of the golden rules the next batch I prepare that is tomorrow I shall tamp(if that is correct) with much more force and do it both half filled and full to really make sure it is well compressed (the coffee).
Slowing the brew down will at least hint at what is going wrong my only thought is that this is possible the problem it is a while since I have used a coffee press but I think if there is insufficient coffee I think this will result in a similar effect that is cloudy coffee.
If this is true then it does point to the grinder not doing a good job and perhaps I should try a longer grind but split into two to avoid excess heat build up.
Thanks once again for things to look for!

baldheadracing
Team HB

#6: Post by baldheadracing »

That's good to hear. Cloudy water is a common malaise of older Silvia's.

So the question is: what changed two months ago?
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Marcelnl

#7: Post by Marcelnl »

Can the blade of your grinder be dull? It's two tiny surfaces hitting hard and brittle beans at a speed...

I'd start looking for a used burr grinder, if you persist you'll find one and prices can be quite good, surely needing TLC but you'd be better off than with a blade grinder. I paid 80€ for a well used fiorenzatio t80 that needed new burrs and a good clean, now serving in the house of a friend.
Freshness of roast is also a consideration, anything that comes without a roast date is suspect to me.
LMWDP #483

#8: Post by leobarr (original poster) »

Definitely is the grinder that is the weakest link double ground the coffee today & made sure it was well tamped down end of problem . The grinder problem was gradual which is why I overlooked it.
So time to save up for a good one now.
Thank you everyone who helped me .