Canadians, now is not the best time to buy... but Americans might want to buy in Canada!

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#1: Post by baldheadracing »

I just was looking at a Canadian vendor, and prices of machines have gone up by about 10% this week - mind you, they did give advance warning.

They're not the only ones (which is why I'm not picking on them). I received a few "warnings" about prices going up September 1st due to the falling exchange rate. At least gas is under $1/l now - I filled up on Sunday at 89.9 ($2.57US/US gallon)

For those that are looking for a machine, my neighbourhood store (http://www.halffullglassware.ca) is still listing the BDB900 for $900CA and the BDB920 for $1200CA (that's about $900US FWIW) with free shipping within Canada ... but I would expect the 920's price to go to $1500CA extremely soon.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Abnuceals

#2: Post by Abnuceals »

This is true. IDC has the pro700 at $200 more in pre-order. And the strega top is $500 more than what I paid last year. Not easy to catch good bargains.
LMWDP 389

Advertisement
canuckcoffeeguy

#3: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

Yep, as I posted in another thread...Canadians are getting hosed on equipment prices. That's what we get for a resource based economy in an era of cheaper oil.

The Canadian dollar is tanking faster than Luca Brasi in the Godfather, who ended up "sleeping with the fishes". The loonie is at a 10-year low against the greenback. That means equipment prices in Canada have shot up 30% or more in the last year. It's depressing.

Most equipment comes to Canada via the U.S., so prices suck right now. A GS/3 for $10,000! :shock: Yep, that's the sad reality in the great white north. Entry level car, or superb home espresso machine -- they're now basically the same price, so take your pick!

I visited idrinkcoffee last weekend. First time seeing the Linea Mini in person. It felt solid and we'll built. But I didn't have much time to play with it. Very attractive machine. But the rising Canadian prices are pushing it into hard to stomach territory, financially speaking.

baldheadracing (original poster)
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

Abnuceals wrote:This is true. IDC has the pro700 at $200 more in pre-order. And the strega top is $500 more than what I paid last year. Not easy to catch good bargains.
A sign of how fast CAD is tanking compared to USD - the updated prices are still a bargain for Amerian purchasers. For example, the Strega TOP:
- @idc with the recent price increase: $2450CA = $1850US
- @US vendors: $2099US

Some of my colleagues (who live in Canada) have contracts that pay in USD. They're laughing at the moment ...
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

neutro

#5: Post by neutro »

baldheadracing wrote: Some of my colleagues (who live in Canada) have contracts that pay in USD. They're laughing at the moment ...
I have one too, each time CAD falls a bit more is a raise for him. He's got a 30%-equivalent raise from the falling CAD in a single year.

Anyway, I'm just glad I pulled the trigger last year for my Pro 700. I'm eyeing grinders but will patiently wait I guess.

HoldTheOnions

#6: Post by HoldTheOnions »

I don't think exchange rates are going to improve any time soon as usd/cad prices recently broke highs set in March 2009.