La Marzocco Linea Mini User Experience - Page 12

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
brianl

#111: Post by brianl »

keno wrote:Congrats on the machine! A 58 mm swims in those baskets and would result in edge channeling. I started with a "VST sized" 58.3 but found I still got some edge channeling so I changed out the base to a 58.5 flat bottom sharp edge base with beveled sides. I have found that to reduce edge channeling and improve extraction. Here is where I got my tamper base:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271846852033

It's a poor man's Perg Tamp!
What handle are you using with that base?

keno (original poster)

#112: Post by keno (original poster) »

jitters wrote:So, was the tamper provided with the LM too small for the baskets that came with the machine? Was it 58mm? If so that seems like a significant miss for La Marzocco.
Yes, appears to be a 58mm with a convex bottom. But wouldn't necessarily call it a miss. I didn't really expect a great tamper supplied with the machine. In any case it's way better than the plastic tampers most machines come with.
brianl wrote:What handle are you using with that base?
It's a Clive handle, but the base should fit any tamper with the same threading as a Reg Barber.

richorr

#113: Post by richorr »

keno wrote:Congrats on the machine! A 58 mm swims in those baskets and would result in edge channeling. I started with a "VST sized" 58.3 but found I still got some edge channeling so I changed out the base to a 58.5 flat bottom sharp edge base with beveled sides. I have found that to reduce edge channeling and improve extraction. Here is where I got my tamper base:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271846852033

It's a poor man's Perg Tamp!
Thanks! Super psyched with the machine. My baskets must be a bit smaller than yours. My 58.1 is a pretty snug fit and I don't know if a 58.3 would work. Hopefully the Reg Barber 58.0 I'm picking up while in Canada won't swim in it. The calipers were saying 58.2 and change.

..and then I measured again and 58.3 will work. Order updated.

Beezer

#114: Post by Beezer »

I thought the Mini used the same VST style baskets as the Strada and other LM machines. Aren't they supposed to be made to very high tolerances? I'd be very surprised if there was that much variation in diameter between baskets for the same machine.
Lock and load!

keno (original poster)

#115: Post by keno (original poster) replying to Beezer »

Yes, they are precision baskets. But they are not Strada baskets which are shinier and each individual basket is measured and certified. I'm sure the sizes are all quite close. Guessing that may be a measurement precision or error issue.

Here's more info on the baskets: http://lamarzoccousa.com/docs/tb/LM-Basket-Guide.pdf

Beezer

#116: Post by Beezer »

Very interesting. So they actually have more stringent QC procedures for the Strada baskets than for their other machines.

I wonder if it would be worthwhile to have the shop measure each machine's baskets before shipping so you can get the right size tamper to fit the baskets. It might not be practical though if the machine is all packaged up. It would be nice to have the correct tamper included in the order when the machine ships, so you don't have to struggle with the wrong size tamper and then order a new one later.
Lock and load!

Haninger

#117: Post by Haninger »

TruBrew wrote:I know I am not the first one to do it, but I just timed my machine warm up.

0 min 0 seconds- machine turnes on
+ 5 min 50 seconds- red light stops blinking
+ 5 min 54 seconds- steam boiler reaches 1.5 bars
+ 0 min 50 seconds- steam boiler reaches 2 bars
= 12 min 34 seconds

I have never pulled a shot, or steamed milk before owning this machine, so my technique still needs a lot of work, and I have no frame of reference to compare it against. Yes, Ive had espresso from different machines, but since I wasn't the one preparing it, I won't compare drink quality or ease of use.

A number of people have mentioned that the indicator lights are too bright. If you look at them at eye level, they are piercingly bright. The thing is, counters are not eye level, and the lights in no way bother me. What does bother me is the small water drop and power symbol next to the lights. They appear to be stickers, which adds a cheap look to a very not cheap machine. Also the fleur de lis which adorn the caps of the water/steam knobs are not oriented correctly when fully turned off. Those are my two largest aesthetic issues with the machine. While neither of those factors affect the machines ability to do it's job, the fact remains, when I spend this amount of money I expect attention to detail.

I don't know how hot the top of other machines get, but mine is warm to the touch. I bought some La Marzocco branded IPA cups, and by my estimation it can hold 6 cappuccino and 8 demitasse cups. I did not buy any of the Latte cups, so I don't know how those would affect storage capacity . It can alternatively hold 9 cap cups or 16+ demitasse cups.

So far the only thing that has annoyed me about it's function was one time when I had the water cut off in them middle of a shot. If the machine gives you a warning that it is running low on water, I did't notice it. When I pulled out the reservoir to refill it, I would guess it was still 1/4 full. I am not sure why it can't let it drain a bit more before cutting off, but that may be typical of tanked machines.
I asked LM and the little stickers come off. I have the stainless version and removed mine with no issues. You might need to remove the sticky residue, though.

keno (original poster)

#118: Post by keno (original poster) »

It's been a little over three months now with the Linea Mini so I thought I'd post an update with my overall impressions now that I've had a little more time with the machine. The more I use it the more I like it. No regrets whatsoever in making the upgrade from an E61 level machine to the Linea Mini, the extra expense, in my mind, was well worth it. Here are the things I really appreciate about the Linea Mini after three months of using it:
  • Ridiculously good espresso - It is just so easy to pull good shots with this machine. I'm not sure I completely understand why. Maybe it's the temperature stability, the quality of the pump, the baskets, or a combination of those things and others. As some have noted the preinfusion is pretty basic, but I'm not going to argue with the results in the cup. If I manage to get the basic shot parameters about right I get consistently excellent results that I'm finding rival what I would get at the best cafes in Portland. What I've always aspired to at home is 3rd wave commercial level quality and that's what the Linea Mini delivers. After a bit of experimenting my baseline shot parameters are 16g in the 14g precision basket (the max that basket will hold) with 30g out over about 30 seconds at 203F. I find that I'm seldom changing the temperature (probably because most of my coffees are roasted to a similar level). I may tweak my grind, dose, and extraction but I like the full extraction I get with 16g in the 14g basket compared to using a larger basket. On the rare occasion that I pull a sink shot with the Linea Mini it becomes obvious that I made some mistake in grind, dose, or distribution.
  • Fantastic ergonomics - Using this machine is a pure joy and not just because of the quality of the espresso, but also because it is so solid and everything on it just works so well. The paddle switch and knobs for steam and hot water are super smooth. The barista lights really make it easy to observe your shot. The quick warm up time is fantastic. I recently had the opportunity to use a few E61 DB machines and honestly after using the Linea Mini they seemed like toys in comparison - I noticed the flex in the grouphead when locking in the PF, more pump noise, rattling drip trays, anemic steaming, and knobs that did not turn as smooth. Switching from the Linea Mini to an E61 is, I imagine, like going back to a Gaggia after using an E61.
  • Cleaning and maintenance - Over time I've had the opportunity to appreciate how easy the Linea Mini makes routine cleaning and maintenance. The stainless panel above the drip tray is much easier to keep clean than the same area on an E61. The drip tray holds a ton of water and is easy to empty, it's never almost overflowing when I empty it. Removing the group screen is much quicker than an E61, making it easier to clean when backflushing. On the subject of backflushing, I do a detergent backflush once a week with the Mini, but only did monthly detergent backflushes with my E61 due to the fact that the detergent would wash the oil out of the bushing for the mechanical lever which would make it very stiff, require occasional servicing, and eventually replacement. The location of the water tank underneath the boiler means that it does not need cleaning nearly as frequently as other machines. Finally, the stainless PF is super easy to keep clean and will stay that way over time, unlike chrome plated brass portafilters. Cleanliness definitely helps with quality.
  • Consistency - Finally, the overall consistency of the machine has really helped to make me a much better barista than I was a few months ago. The consistency of the machine helps to isolate the parameters that contribute to the results in the cup. This consistent feedback makes it much easier to dial in coffee, tweak parameters, and experiment. People working behind the counter at a cafe pull hundreds of shots a day and get a lot more feedback about results, making the learning curve much quicker. The Linea Mini, I think, really helps the average home barista who may only be pulling a few shots a day get better and more reliable feedback and improve their skills much quicker. It's a great training tool.
Others have commented on how the Linea Mini compares favorably to the GS3 and Linea Classic. When you consider that both of those machines sell for quite a bit more than a Linea Mini ($7k for the GS3 and around $9k for a Linea Classic single group), the Linea Mini is a relative bargain. If you are interested in the Mini check one out at a local dealer, look for an LM On the Road event in an area near you, or see if someone who owns one in your area would let you drop by and check it out.

Beezer

#119: Post by Beezer »

Thanks for the update. Your impressions just confirm what I suspected: the Mini is really in a different class than most typical prosumer machines. It seems more like a true commercial machine, except in a smaller, more kitchen friendly size. Now I want one even more. I'm thinking I might take the plunge when the plumb in version becomes available, which is supposed to be in October. Coincidentally, that's the same month as my birthday. Or maybe it's fate, not coincidence. 8)
Lock and load!

keno (original poster)

#120: Post by keno (original poster) »

LM should have new stock by October, so if you are willing to wait you should have your choice of colors. :)