New Mahlkonig "PEAK" grinder - Page 11

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
shawndo

#101: Post by shawndo »

brianl wrote:Any updates on the timeline for release? In the middle of July, chris coffee said they'd have them soon. IdrinkCoffee says October.
The last I heard a couple months ago is that the 110v US models were delayed and are scheduled for August, but that might also be the first shipment. Probably will take a couple extra months for all the distributors to receive stock.
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

nicfortin

#102: Post by nicfortin »

Séb wrote:<image>I just found some more infos about this grinder in a fall 2014 issue of Barista Magazine. That might just be my next grinder.
If you get one, we should meet ;-)
Au plaisir!

N
nicfortin, BGA0531
Treat your Coffees with Respect! ;-)

Séb

#103: Post by Séb replying to nicfortin »

Salut,

I was supposed to get two for a local Cafe but unfortunatly it was not ready and will not be until fall. I still want something for my home setup but i think i will have to modify my working space if i want to get a big grinder like this one. I might get a whole new setup....

DavidMLewis

#104: Post by DavidMLewis »

shawndo wrote:The last I heard a couple months ago is that the 110v US models were delayed and are scheduled for August, but that might also be the first shipment. Probably will take a couple extra months for all the distributors to receive stock.
They're using one at the Heart shop in SW Portland, and seem to like it a lot. It replaced an EK43 there, so they have a good basis for comparison.

Best,
David

boost

#105: Post by boost »

Looks like it is finally available now. Maybe an official HB review is in order.

r.rowlan

#106: Post by r.rowlan »

I wonder if the release of the PEAK will result in a price cut for the Vario?

boost

#107: Post by boost replying to r.rowlan »

Doubtful, I heard the price will be over 2k, close to EK43.
I can foresee there will be a more used K30 on the market for sale though.

bmb

#108: Post by bmb »

For the last month we had several espressi, grinded on a Peak (very new, paired with a Strada) at Double Eye, very busy coffee bar in Berlin.
I asked the barista and he said he likes that it is easier to dial in than the K30 , nothing else worth mentioning for now.
Their El Salvador SO medium roast was really nice, had that for about a week, always enjoying it.
However I missed the typical acidity I normally get from the K30.
Today, there was a somewhat darker blend (Ethiopia, India and something else) in the Peak, we asked for a double espresso for me and a cappuccino for my wife, nicely prepared but ... we didn't feel like finishing them.
The barista looked at us quite surprised (disturbed?), when getting the half full cups back.

weebit_nutty

#109: Post by weebit_nutty »

Wow it's amazing the barista actually cared about what you thought. Here in the US, they generally don't pay much attention after you've picked up your drink.

But the fact you pointed out that you didn't like the drink makes me wonder... Were you suggesting the grinder somehow attributed to your experience or was it just your lack of preference for darker roasts?
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

brianl

#110: Post by brianl »

bmb wrote:For the last month we had several espressi, grinded on a Peak (very new, paired with a Strada) at Double Eye, very busy coffee bar in Berlin.
I asked the barista and he said he likes that it is easier to dial in than the K30 , nothing else worth mentioning for now.
Their El Salvador SO medium roast was really nice, had that for about a week, always enjoying it.
However I missed the typical acidity I normally get from the K30.
Today, there was a somewhat darker blend (Ethiopia, India and something else) in the Peak, we asked for a double espresso for me and a cappuccino for my wife, nicely prepared but ... we didn't feel like finishing them.
The barista looked at us quite surprised (disturbed?), when getting the half full cups back.
Just out of curiosity. It seems like the larger the flat burr, the greater the sweetness but less acidity? IT makes sense as these larger flats appear to be of similar particle size (unimodal?) so it would reduce under extraction and you'd only get acidity that is native to the particular bean.