18 second double - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
TomC
Team HB

#11: Post by TomC »

brianl wrote:Assuming it's not channeling, he is correct.

Not if the adjustment to create that flow is coarsening the grind.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

brianl

#12: Post by brianl »

TomC wrote:Not if the adjustment to create that flow is coarsening the grind.
Was going to edit my post saying regular flow around 25/30 sec (normale or so brew ratio). But you quoted super fast ha.

Randy G.

#13: Post by Randy G. »

The first opportunity you have to time an 18 second double will be the last time you have to. A shot that fast looks like yellowish, opaque water. The stream is large in diameter and its lack of viscosity can be easily seen before it splatters and splashes into the cup. With a bottomless portafilter you would likely be witness to "The Attack of the Sprites."

Photo courtesy 1st-Line and FRCN Digital Imaging
(From the Vibiemme DOmobar DOuble owner's manual)

The first time you taste such a shot will be the last time you will want to. While an slightly over-extracted shot can be salvaged to some extent with some milk or cream, not so with an under-extracted fast pull. You will find yourself apologizing to the sink when you pour it down the drain to try again.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

keno

#14: Post by keno »

Randy, I think that's gotta be the worst shot I've ever seen. :shock:

Randy G.

#15: Post by Randy G. replying to keno »

LOL! I did three pulls for that section of the manual- One very over-extracted that took like 20 seconds for the first drops to appear. It looked like someone drained the oil out of a '64 Plymouth... for the first time. A "correct" extraction. And the third, the one in my previous post here. That one issued forth in the first one or two seconds after the pump was engaged. I was using a wired remote for the shutter, and I clicked off three bracketed shots in less than two seconds and immediately turned off the pump. It missed spraying my lens by just a few millimeters and I had quite a cleanup afterwards. Just one more hazard in the life of a graphic artist/writer.

estib

#16: Post by estib »

Wonder what's the dose and yield? Maybe they are recommending to cut short the extraction?

keno

#17: Post by keno »

Randy G. wrote:Just one more hazard in the life of a graphic artist/writer.
Wow, didn't realize you took the picture. Horrible shot but a great picture!

Thanks for sharing.

Randy G.

#18: Post by Randy G. »

keno wrote:Wow, didn't realize you took the picture. Horrible shot but a great picture!
And my paternal grandparents thought I was crazy for being an art major.
I actually did all the photos, all the text (including all the typos), and the full layout for that manual as well as the Hottop manuals and the Hottop USA website (including the repair procedures and videos).