Straight from roaster to espresso machine

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
kwantfm

#1: Post by kwantfm »

I usually roast pretty late at night, but work has been busy recently and I haven't had much time to roast recently. Got up this morning to find that I only had enough beans for my wife's coffee and none for me. So I took some time to roast around midday. I tend not to have coffee after about 4 pm so had a rare opportunity to try what I'd roasted as espresso almost immediately post roast. I've most often held onto roasts for a few days to let them rest a bit. What I found was the most incredibly intense enzymatic characteristics. I had roasted a Kenyan Karatu which showed pure cassis and some Ninety Plus Tchembe which both smelt from the grinder and tasted of blueberry muffin. I've never experienced such strong fruit flavours before... has anyone else found this to be the case fresh from the roaster?
LMWDP #602

r.rowlan

#2: Post by r.rowlan »

I roast with a Gene Cafe. Although I have not had the time to work much on roast profiles, I have discovered that on most coffees from all the different growing regions I roast they are best for me between 5-14 days off roast. I can't say I've noticed the intensity and flavor separation you have. It sounds incredible. Do what works for you!

Advertisement
Arpi

#3: Post by Arpi »

I find that dark roasts do usually better when brewed right after a roast. Don't let the good stuff scape ;)

edtbjon

#4: Post by edtbjon »

Personally I find roasts matured for at least a week are the best. But today I visited a CoffeeFestival (hoasted by Johan&Nyström, Sweden), where one actor served an 1/2 hour old roast that tasted really good (as a brew). Loads of different small flavours sticking out.
But I'd normally recommend at least a full weaks rest before running it through the grinder.

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

The other week I roasted a Yemen Red Marqaha, and it was amazing the next morning with a full spectrum of exotic spice notes. It didn't even taste like coffee but was unique and delicious. Those flavors soon faded. For some coffees there are rapidly volatile flavors that are worth sampling. Others need to rest and unfold or morph into something quite different than first sampled.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!