What is wow'ing you? - Page 47

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
swanny338

#461: Post by swanny338 »

I can't get enough of De la Paz's Peel Sessions. The flavor so easily comes through in a Gibraltar. I find myself pulling it to the sour side for small milk drinks... Then I crank the grind finer for a beautiful espresso shot.

LukeFlynn

#462: Post by LukeFlynn »

Compelling and Rich - Brown Betty

Very nice blend.. it's much lighter than I expected.. this is the kind of coffee that I dream of.. It's somewhat hairbender-esque, but much easier to pull.

So far my parameters are:

18-19 grams in
30-34 grams out
25-28 seconds
203 degrees

If your'e a fan of traditional west coast espresso, as what I interpret it to be anyways (a la Hairbender), you're bound to love this.. It's got great cherry notes as espresso, through milk it is very caramely and chocolatey.

CompellingRich, you've got it going on over in LA. One of the best coffees I've had in quite sometime. This is the kind of coffee that comes to my mind when I hear Lil Jon's hit "Turn down for what"

compellingrich

#463: Post by compellingrich replying to LukeFlynn »

Glad you're digging it. We're all about easy-to-pull espressos. Thank you for ordering!

twolane

#464: Post by twolane »

Just ordered up a few pounds of Compelling and Rich. My first time, so fingers crossed!

TomC
Team HB

#465: Post by TomC »

It usually takes something truly phenomenal for me to take note or give this level of public praise for a coffee but I had what was likely one of the best espressos of my life twice yesterday and again today at home, from Chromatic Coffee in San Jose. They've really, really stepped up their game. I didn't even intentionally seek them out, I was in San Jose to meet up with a friend for some BBQ, and we ended up starting with a 2 cafe crawl first.

They have a Radio Espresso that is specifically dialed in for low TDS water, that is meant to be a light roasted espresso that doesn't suck. And it doesn't suck. It's friggin incredible. Intensely sweet, brilliant acidity paired with very, very tantalizing citrus and deep florals and tea. It's a S.O. washed Ethiopian Guji Sidama.

For folks who know me, I'm about 80% filter brewed coffee and at best 10% straight espresso, 10% cappuccino, but if I found coffees like this more often, I'd have to change up the order a bit. This coffee was intensely complex, lingering, and ZERO lemon-battery acid. It's about the only light roasted espresso I've ever fully enjoyed. Y'all should check it out. I should have bought a second bag to store up in the chest freezer. I might still order more of it anyway.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

brianl

#466: Post by brianl »

I don't want this to sell out but it's been just fantastic :lol: :

Mtn Air Chelchele DP. I haven't basically given up on washed Ethiopians this summer but this dry processed one was a fantastic espresso.

I have not had a bad roast from these guys on any coffee.

On the home roasters front - I hate to post about a sold out coffee but I must! Colombia Cup of Antioquia -Jose Leobardo. A darker full city roast of this made a fantastic Clever filter brew.

espressoonmymind

#467: Post by espressoonmymind »

Was in Portland OR this weekend and enjoyed a few trips the "Seven Virtues" at 28th & Sandy, very good single origin, had a few from Brazil, Sumatra both very smooth kind of a vanilla cream and herbs with just the slightest acidic end, almost not there. &http://www.sevenvirtuespdx.com/

doubleOsoul

#468: Post by doubleOsoul »

TomC wrote:It usually takes something truly phenomenal for me to take note or give this level of public praise for a coffee but I had what was likely one of the best espressos of my life twice yesterday and again today at home, from Chromatic Coffee in San Jose.
Thanks for the heads up. They have a cool website and I'll have to try out your recommendation. I really dig the Back of the Bag thing they have going on. Pulling out my pen and paper to get in on that. :)

Fausto

#469: Post by Fausto »

I just received my Hacienda La Esmeralda Geisha roasted by Tim Wendelboe. I expected it to be amazing, and it has not disappointed.

I've so far made a simple aeropress, 14g at a 6M on my Vario, 200g of 93c water, no bloom, steep for a min, stir 3 times, 15 second plunge.

Intensely delicious, especially after cooling for a minute. Strong jasmine and black tea notes. Sweet, floral, very aromatic.

I don't think I have the right equipment to try and pull a shot of it, too light, but we'll see.

Matt44

#470: Post by Matt44 »

swanny338 wrote:I can't get enough of De la Paz's Peel Sessions...
Anyone know if De La Paz offers flat-rate shipping? I was all set to order their 3-bag coffee set ($50), but the shipping was $16. I thought they offered $5 flat-rate.