Gaggia Achille - any users out there?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Locopavoni

#1: Post by Locopavoni »

I am set to embark on my first coffee machine rebuild/refurbishment project.
A Gaggia Achille, a machine that looks stunning and from what I gather is a great concept domestic lever with a hx, which some might say was a great fusion of old and new technology. However, based on posts and reviews the machine seems to have either inherent design flaws, or maybe even simply ill fitting seals and gaskets.

The Achille had a limited production run and has been discontinued for a number of years now. I can't find many recent comments, so before I begin I am really hoping to ascertain from owners how the machine has held up over time.
Do owners still use theirs?
Are parts obtainable?
And whether peoples various fixes and modifications have stood the test of time.
- Any thoughts appreciated.
LMWDP #537

phillip canuck

#2: Post by phillip canuck »

I love my Achille. I have a repair thread or two on HB. One used JB Weld (successfully) to repair a major leak / hole in the boiler. The second dealt with trying to stop the gasket(s) leak. Unsuccessful. The damned things leaks like a sieve (grouphead), but, it still produces one great espresso and the ability to steam microfoam is as near as can be to foolproof. However mine does not do daily service. Now it is relegated just to travel service.
Good luck with the rebuild and do keep us posted as to your progress.

--phillip

Advertisement
Locopavoni (original poster)

#3: Post by Locopavoni (original poster) »

Thanks Phillip,
Saw some of your posts, was wondering if your repairs had held up, or if you had given up on the Achille. Sounds like the gaskets and seals are a persistant problem. Do you just put up with the leaks or do replacement seals and gaskets resolve the leak ...short-term?
LMWDP #537

phillip canuck

#4: Post by phillip canuck replying to Locopavoni »

The weld held, so that is no longer an issue. I tried every size and type of gasket /seal that I could (and that was recommended on HB), but nothing stops the group drip. Oh well. It makes it messy, but I still use it to make fantastic espressos and milk drinks. As I said though, it is not my daily machine - juts a travel weight, so I don't mind the mess every so often.

I have had several Pavoni, a SAMA Lusso and the Achille. Between the three a properly functioning Achille is the clear winner.

-phillip