Coffees with good chocolate/caramel flavor - Page 5

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
cpreston
Supporter ♡

#41: Post by cpreston »

Testa Rossa from Luxxe in Santa Monica (order from website) is in the Vivace style and is excellent. (They recommend tight ristretto at high temp, which works for me).

spressomon

#42: Post by spressomon »

Seed65 wrote:I am wondering if I should bite the bullet on go espresso! lol or can I really get some good chocolate/carmel notes from these coffees by pour over/Ottomatic methods?
I can not offer you any wisdom as I am 100% espresso puller and have been for a couple decades now. I would venture to say if you're as careful with pour-over and have a real grinder you'd be able to get similar qualities from PO.
No Espresso = Depresso

Advertisement
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#43: Post by JohnB. »

Seed65 wrote:I am wondering if I should bite the bullet on go espresso! lol or can I really get some good chocolate/carmel notes from these coffees by pour over/Ottomatic methods?
I think you should bite the bullet. You won't get the same intense flavors with your pourover that you get with a good straight shot. I just finished a thick, creamy caramel shot of the Paradise Nuevo pulled on my Bosco. You simply could not (IMO) duplicate the same mouthfeel & delicious flavor by brewing the blend.
LMWDP 267

Rulebreaker

#44: Post by Rulebreaker »

I just started using my Kalita, but not yet on Motor City. I will give it a try though and let you know how it compares. In My limited use of the Kalita I found it is a totally different taste profile and experience vs. espresso
Dr. Strangebrew: Or how I learned to stop worrying and love milk and sugar

Rulebreaker

#45: Post by Rulebreaker »

spressomon wrote:@Rulebreaker, glad to know you found similar big chocolate taste in the cup from the Acme Motor City blend! One never quite knows...given all the different coffee/espresso preparation styles & equipment...if the in-the-cup results will be the same.
@spressomon It is a bit of a crapshoot everytime I approach my machine, let alone differences between various styles and equipment! It is a good sign that there is consistency at Acme Roasters. Thats very important for brewing. I plan on ordering again if I get consistency the rest of this week.

Seed65 (original poster)

#46: Post by Seed65 (original poster) »

Good day,

Ordered some Acme Motor City espresso and it was shipped today. I know many of you have used this and were impressed.

How long a resting period will this need?

Using it for pour over....any suggestions?

Thanks

LukeFlynn

#47: Post by LukeFlynn »

Right now, I can't get over how deliciously caramely and nutty Big Trouble is, the most recent blend is just bliss. It produces a seriously wicked amount of crema for a fairly not so dark espresso blend. Simply put, Big Trouble is BIG BODIED.

Advertisement
roadman
Supporter ♡

#48: Post by roadman »

JohnB. wrote:I just pulled a shot with Sweet Blue roasted on 8/17 & got a nice chocolate cup after only 4 days rest. It will get better in a few days but I haven't found that either the Sweet Blue or the Blue Jaguar need as much rest as Jeff's Redbird.
Thanks for that tip John.
Got 5lbs. of the Sweet Blue with the same roast date (8/17). Pulled a shot on day 7 and went about my business. About 20 minutes later there was such a strong dark chocolate hit, that for a moment I did a mental double take to check whether or not I'd eaten a bit of dark chocolate with my espresso. Yum!

Rulebreaker

#49: Post by Rulebreaker »

Seed65 wrote:Good day,

Ordered some Acme Motor City espresso and it was shipped today. I know many of you have used this and were impressed.

How long a resting period will this need?

Using it for pour over....any suggestions?

Thanks
The thing is there was no roast date on my bag. I brewed the second day upon receipt and had great results that day and every day since. I ordered on 8/17, so assuming it was freshly roasted and shipped it is just about a week old now and still tasting great.

spressomon

#50: Post by spressomon »

For the Motor City blend I find the sweet spot to be in the 4-8 days post roast; but still good out to 12-days. Normally he has always roasted day of ship out...worst case has always been next day post roast they get kicked out. When I'm in Monterey I just get them at the little open air cafe/roaster in Seaside.
No Espresso = Depresso