Rancilio Silvia needs replacement gasket in the diffuser - can't find diagram

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Osanties

#1: Post by Osanties »

Hi all, I've been a lurker of these forums for years and this is my first post.

So I got a V2 Rancilio Silvia (with Rocky) for free from one of my family members that wasn't using it. Since i thoutroly enjoy DIY projects i took it apart and left it spanking clean. This is not my first rodeo as I have a 4 year old Gaggia classic and on my last boiler inspection there was not even a grain a of calcium deposits. To my surprise, the Silvia boiler was virtually scale free (mind you I know it has never been descaled and backflushed maybe once or twice in 8 years). The Grouphead was another story. It literally had rocks of coffee in the diffuser and screen.

I ordered a new screen and and am replacing all the parts that needed replacing (gaskets and o rings) but I found a gasket in the diffuser that I cant seem to locate in any diagram or picture, and I've looked. see pics below.

Can any of you more experienced owners verify that this gasket exists? At this point I think the previous owner put it there without knowing. Any help or clue is appreciated. I would greatly appreciate if you could check in your Silvia to see if it is there, hey a cleaning of the screen is never bad :D

This is in the side of the diffuser that looks towards the group head.

Thank you in advance,

Oscar

Alan Frew

#2: Post by Alan Frew »

I can confirm that as originally supplied there wasn't a gasket, see http://www.coffeeco.com.au/newsletter/november2006.html for pics.

Alan

Mouldy

#3: Post by Mouldy »

Osanties wrote: I ordered a new screen and and am replacing all the parts that needed replacing (gaskets and o rings) but I found a gasket in the diffuser that I cant seem to locate in any diagram or picture, and I've looked. see pics below.

Can any of you more experienced owners verify that this gasket exists?
Hi, I've attached a diagram (not sure which version(s) of Silvia it applies to) that seems to show no gasket; which is as confirmed by Alan Frew.

Osanties (original poster)

#4: Post by Osanties (original poster) »

THANK YOU Alan for clarifying my doubts! Your link really helped.

Mouldy, thank you for the diagram, that was the same diagram I kept seeing and hence my confusion.

Thank you both for your help and thanks to all of those who looked!. :D

Best,

Oscar

stefano65
Sponsor

#5: Post by stefano65 »

Correct no o-ring/gasket between the removable brass diffuser and the lower grouphead
the nickel diffuser of the POD kit however is a different story..............
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

Osanties (original poster)

#6: Post by Osanties (original poster) »

Thank You Stefano!