Orphan Espresso LIDO E for espresso

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Bob_McBob

#1: Post by Bob_McBob »

OE posted a sneak peak of of a soon-to-be-released Lido variant on Twitter earlier today. It has an extra bearing and finer grind adjustment to make it more suitable for espresso. Also comes with a new dosing attachment for the catch jar.

Chris

brianl

#2: Post by brianl »

Sounds like the adjusting screw will have a different pitch? I wonder how the extra bearing will help with stability.

Seems like an interesting choice for a next grinder. Id have assumed a travel espresso grinder would have had the lido 3 handle (otherwise why choose this over the pharos)

jbviau
Supporter ★

#3: Post by jbviau »

OE posted on Coffee Forums UK (http://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.ph ... post334928) to the effect that the LIDO E is all-aluminum, so it should weigh about the same as the L3. I don't know which handle will come standard, but I feel confident based on past experience that the handles will remain interchangeable. I'd love for the L3's handle to be sold separately; that way I could buy another and use it with my L2.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

OldNuc

#4: Post by OldNuc »

Careful parsing of that post answers all the various questions that will soon be raised.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster »

Yes, the e stack will have a different pitch so that you'll have to turn the rings about four times as far to make the same adjustment which should make dialing in espresso easier. I spoke with Doug at the SCAA Expo in Seattle and he mentioned it, which I hinted at here: OE Pharos redesign

Also, on Twitter, Doug mentioned that the ConeTop™ dosing funnel which screws onto the Lido catch jars will also be available soon as a separate accessory, I'm thinking about picking one up for use with my Twist, maybe they'll have the Lido 3 handle available at the same time.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

buddalouie

#6: Post by buddalouie »

Seems like it could be a good option for both drip and espresso. I have a lido 3 that works great for drip but the espresso range is pretty narrow. Intrigued!

dominico
Team HB

#7: Post by dominico »

likewise,

If this puppy comes out this month or early September I might just give my Lido 3 to a friend and get the E instead
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

OldNuc

#8: Post by OldNuc »

Espresso is narrow on the Lido-2 as well but since it is 8 or so minor divisions from the magic zero no one notices.

bostonbuzz

#9: Post by bostonbuzz »

I'd love to get an idea of when this will come out. (hinthint) I think making the adjustment finer, slower burrs and more precision will make the lido the best hand grinder for espresso (and drip) around.
LMWDP #353

roxtc

#10: Post by roxtc »

Does it technically have the same burrs but the adjustment is just more suitable for finer grinding? Wonder if it's just as good for brewing?