TJ-067 Gas Roaster Guidelines for Different Load Sizes - Page 13

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#121: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Hi Ken,

Agreed on the stall.

The flame no longer bounces or tries to re-ignite. That's solved.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

JK

#122: Post by JK »

Here is the screen I made for my roaster to add a little less draw..
I trace line from the under side of screen while it was held down to the cyclone, then used tin snipe to cut out..
Cleaned up disc and fitted it with a file..

I noticed in some images that many people have an exhaust pipe coming out of the cyclone..
I exhaust right out of the cyclone and maybe why I think my fan is so strong..

This screen I hope with collect some of the coffee resin that collects on the fan blades,,
It's a pain to clean and can cause your fan to wear out premature with extra out of balance weight..
-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!

Ryantheroaster

#123: Post by Ryantheroaster »

drgary wrote:Hi Ken,

Agreed on the stall.

The flame no longer bounces or tries to re-ignite. That's solved.
Gary, with the air flow direction resolved, has this quelled all of your fan speed issues regarding control? Or are you still finding that with a perforated drum there's still too much fan power and not enough control? I know slickrock (I think?) was talking about a method to gain more control over the over powered fan on these North units. Any update on that?

I'm seeing over powered fan as a very constant theme with these units... So I'm just looking for an update :)

Ryantheroaster

#124: Post by Ryantheroaster »

JK wrote:<image>

Here is the screen I made for my roaster to add a little less draw..
I trace line from the under side of screen while it was held down to the cyclone, then used tin snipe to cut out..
Cleaned up disc and fitted it with a file..

I noticed in some images that many people have an exhaust pipe coming out of the cyclone..
I exhaust right out of the cyclone and maybe why I think my fan is so strong..

This screen I hope with collect some of the coffee resin that collects on the fan blades,,
It's a pain to clean and can cause your fan to wear out premature with extra out of balance weight..
Has this worked as you expected?

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#125: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Ryantheroaster wrote:Gary, with the air flow direction resolved, has this quelled all of your fan speed issues regarding control? Or are you still finding that with a perforated drum there's still too much fan power and not enough control? I know slickrock (I think?) was talking about a method to gain more control over the over powered fan on these North units. Any update on that?

I'm seeing over powered fan as a very constant theme with these units... So I'm just looking for an update :)
I would like more fan control at lower speeds. It is much more controllable now. Can't provide more detail for the next few days.
Gary
LMWDP#308

JK

#126: Post by JK »

Hi Ryantheroastery,
My screen failed as it clogged up after a few roasts..

Gary,
What I have noticed is since I have my roaster on a wire cart and cyclone is still on the ground my air flow is much less than when roaster was on a dolly and flex pipe was a straight shot to cyclone..

think you have a lot of exhaust tubing if I remember right, your air flow maybe lower than mine.. I think if you add a elbow or two it may decrease the flow... Then again your fan maybe a different speed than mine as stuff changes over time..
-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!

slickrock

#127: Post by slickrock »

Ryantheroaster wrote: I know slickrock (I think?) was talking about a method to gain more control over the over powered fan on these North units. Any update on that?
Still haven't got around to replacing the fan control with a 500K ohm log pot. Been too busy with roast automation. When I get a a checkpoint, I'll install one.
07/11/1991, 08/21/2017, 04/08/2024, 08/12/2045

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#128: Post by drgary (original poster) replying to slickrock »

Now Joel's done a fan mod. Here's that thread:

TJ-067 Fan Control Mod for Precise Control
Gary
LMWDP#308

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#129: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Moderator Note: A question came up about a fan control that wouldn't turn off the fan at the zero setting. That's been moved to its own topic, linked below.

TJ-067 Fan Control Malfunction, Zero Setting Doesn't Turn It Off
Gary
LMWDP#308

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#130: Post by drgary (original poster) »

I'm now gaining control of the roaster for 1 lb. charges so I'll be able to try more profiles. Picking up on a tip from Boldjava on charging at the PID display temperature, I've dialed it down. I'd been charging at too high a temp measured at the BT probe. Here's a roast done today of a Sweet Maria's Cuilco - Finca El Regalito. Forgive my weird ET reading. On Artisan I'm mainly watching BT, the projected time to 1C, declining ROR and adjusting fan and gas minimally. I'm just starting to be able to pay attention to the ROR direction. I had good momentum going into 1C and taking the roast through that with declining ROR.

Gary
LMWDP#308