A coffee grinder for espresso, $500-1000 budget

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
SuchBrewSoCoffee

#1: Post by SuchBrewSoCoffee »

Hello everybody!

I'm relatively new to this community, and it would be nice if you give me some advice.
Recently I got tired of my semi-automatic Saeco and finally decided to switch on decent equipment. At first, I haven't had a second though about choosing Silvia + Rocky combination. But since I began to read this and other resources I started to have second thoughts.

Thus what I think I need now is a good grinder for about 500$, leaving about 500-1000$ for an espresso machine. In general, I make macchiato 1-2 times per day, sometimes I use my Bialetti moka, and I just ordered an Espro French Press to give it a try. Personally I don't care much if a grinder would be manual or automatic, but the only thing is that it should be 220-240V - if it's not manual. In addition, I've heard about HG One but I think 1k$ it's a bit overkill for my purposes)

So far I've found this pieces of machinery which allure me the most:
Baratza Vario 2015 (which is sold as MAHLKÖNIG Vario), around 400 EUR incl delivery
Rancilio Rocky Doserless 2015, 250 EUR
Lido 2? (I'm not sure about this)

Thanks!

P.S. I think it worth to mention few more things:
I use freshly roasted beans from my local roaster, take my time to prepare a cup, and enjoy the process.

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

If you're patient, the Pharos comes out in September. Short of buying used commercial gear, if I was constrained to that budget, it's probably the choice I'd go with.

I imagine several of the previous Pharos units will pop up for sale on the second hand market due to the newer one coming out.

http://www.oehandgrinders.com/OE-Pharos ... _p_79.html
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Advertisement
hipporun

#3: Post by hipporun »

+1 for Pharos, it is a good option if you can wait. If not, the Baratza Vario packs some good punch.

If your open to the idea, you might want to consider shifting your budget opening more for the grinder. After all, the grind is the most important variable in quality espresso.

Double Shot

#4: Post by Double Shot »

hipporun wrote:If your open to the idea, you might want to consider shifting your budget opening more for the grinder. After all, the grind is the most important variable in quality espresso.
+1.
You should be able to get a great second hand commercial grinder for ~$750, leaving you enough for a second hand lever machine, if you were so inclined. The lever will handle your espresso demands easily and, once mastered, is a joy to use.
LMWDP #480.

forbeskm

#5: Post by forbeskm »

Lido 2 is fine for espresso and it's cheap at 175 U.S. I use one daily for a lever and it travels with me. Can't speak to the three, the 2 has been great.

I did pre order a Pharos just to check it out though, that eta is September.

SuchBrewSoCoffee (original poster)

#6: Post by SuchBrewSoCoffee (original poster) »

TomC wrote:If you're patient, the Pharos comes out in September
I checked out a few reviews of Pharos on youtube, it seems the process of extracting ground coffee, to put it mildly, is unconvenient.
It's easier to go for HG one instead of this one.
TomC wrote:Short of buying used commercial gear, if I was constrained to that budget, it's probably the choice I'd go with.
Well, I can spend as far as 2k $ on a machine and grinder, although not sure if I need this.

Ok guys, let's say I can spend 1000$ for a grinder and I'm in Europe. I think I'd prefer a new one instead of used.
What do you recommend?
Do you mean models like La Cimbali Max, Mazzer Mini, Pasquini Moka90, and Mahlkonig K30 to name a few?

CoffeeBar

#7: Post by CoffeeBar »

How about Mahlkonig ProM Espresso? It is good for espresso grind :)

Euro 1079.00

Advertisement

#8: Post by SuchBrewSoCoffee (original poster) replying to CoffeeBar »

This one looks solid, I wonder how it is comparing with HG one?
Anyway, according to a youtube video the espresso was excellent yet different both from Vario and ProM Espresso.
Is such gap in price worth it? 500$, I mean.

#9: Post by SuchBrewSoCoffee (original poster) »

Well, I found out that some Pro-M Espresso owners have problems with clogging and clumping.
On the other hand, there're a few good reviews like that http://10000shots.com/post/20803398284/ ... der-review on the internet.
Any commentaries from owners?

canuckcoffeeguy

#10: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

I think the ProM has been discontinued. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Since you're in Russia, what retailers are you considering? If we know what products are, and aren't, easily available to you, that would help with suggestions. Is anything from any European retailer an option for you?