Illy Moka Coffee in Gaggia Baby Twin?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Mokaman

#1: Post by Mokaman »

Hi, I'm new to this board and new to espresso machines. I have been using a Forever Combi Duo cappuccino pot for about 2 years and the pressure relief valve on the lower boiler started leaking. I have been unable to replace the valve since Forever discontinued this pot sometime ago. I have just ordered a refurbished Gaggia Baby Twin from WLL after about 7 straight days of research at 12 hours a day (I'm retired). Started out, like many of you, looking at makers selling for $100, but after getting an education on the internet, settled on the Gaggia Baby Twin. My problem is that I still have a case of Illy Moka Coffee still left from my old Forever Pot. Can this Moka espresso coffee be used in my Gaggia Baby Twin when it arrives? I'm sorry, but I am a novice when it comes to espresso machines but a real Pro with stove-top pots.

dominico
Team HB

#2: Post by dominico »

Moka pot coffee, while ground finer than drip, will unfortunately still be too coarse for the Gaggia. It will pour our way to quickly for a nice heavy bodied espresso with crema. You could try over stuffing the portafilter with it , but it still might run through quickly and I'm not sure how it would taste.

Do you have a grinder by any chance?
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

ecuew

#3: Post by ecuew »

If you're keen on using up all your coffee I suppose you could use the Gaggia's pressurized basket. That should work OK.

Mokaman (original poster)

#4: Post by Mokaman (original poster) »

Sorry to say, I don't have a grinder since I am brand new to the espresso scene. :( I will try a tighter tamp then use the coffee for a cappuccino if it runs out too quickly. I am not sure if my Gaggia Baby Twin will arrive with a pressurized filter basket or not. If not, then I will have to purchase one. When I use all of my Moka coffee, then I will invest in a grinder and purchase whole bean coffee. :) Thanks, Dominico

dominico
Team HB

#5: Post by dominico »

You could always use your moka coffee in a moka too :-)
I have one I brought over with me from Italy that until very recently I used for traveling.

I second the pressurized filter if it comes with one. They are almost completely useless, unless you have preground coffee that you need / want to use for some reason. I woudn't go out of my way to buy a pressurized filter however, once you get a grinder you won't have any more need of it.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?