La Cara \ La Graziella rebuild info and pics - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
JLK

#11: Post by JLK »

Cuppajoe, thanks for the info. That looks like my machine. I'm just missing the Bakelite cover and the pressure gauge or is that a tempeture gauge? In order for me to plug this in filled with water, I do need to seal where the gauge goes, correct? Thanks again.

redeye (original poster)

#12: Post by redeye (original poster) »

Here is part of my e-receipt from parts:

0009 Dow Corning 111 Espresso Gasket, Seal Lubricant - 6g $3.00 x 1 $3.00

849 La Graziella Sight Glass Seals $2.50 x 1 $2.50

850 La Graziella Steam Wand Valve Seal $1.00 x 2 $2.00

983 La Graziella Group Rebuild Gasket and Seal Set $17.50 x 1 $17.50
Subtotal: $25.00
Discount: $0.00
Shipping: $8.13
Sales Tax: $0.00
Total: $33.13
orphanespresso.com
1541 Highway 99 Troy, ID 83871
Phone: 208-835-2969 (FAX during non-working hours)

and later I ordered a group to portafilter gasket, and the hardware kit which includes the internal "c" clip(inside the group head, see teardown photos, it is the really rusted mess inside the grouphead), which is stainless steel. and the external retaining clips for the lever to lever assembly.

you can 't really see much on the custom gauge.. basically I took an air compressor fitting, chucked it up in my drill press, and cut it off with a small file.. I then soldered that piece into an off the shelf brass fitting with same threads as the sight level glass fitting.. you can see the rest.. It works well, just isn't necessary for daily use.

cuppajoe

#13: Post by cuppajoe »

It's a pressure gauge(manometer), Stafano carries them as well as others. Drop him a line, he's very helpful. Might even have a top cover lying about. It may take a bit of sleuthing to locate one but the machine can be used without it.

I'd just give it a test and see if the hack/repair on the gauge nut is sealed.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

flathead1

#14: Post by flathead1 »

Jerry,

Before you fill your machine with water I suggest you turn it on its' side, with the cap off to drain any water in the boiler, take the bottom plate off and look at the wiring. If possible take a picture and post it here. The condition of the wiring and the presence of a pressurestat will tell a lot about the machine.

The gauge missing is a pressure gauge and it is needed with later testing and set up of the machine but just filling and testing to see if it gets hot doesn't require it. If it isn't sealed where the gauge was you won't be able to operate the machine, if it is sealed I would still recommend holding off on operating until you can get the gauge installed. The missing gauge is at the top of the sight glass and it is absolutely vital that you see a water level in the glass. If the heating element, located at the bottom of the boiler, is left uncovered and power is applied the element will melt and you will have a well machined doorstop, elements are hard to come by.
A Lever and a place to stand ...

LMWDP #152

cuppajoe

#15: Post by cuppajoe »

jlk, remember, despite the title for this thread, your machine is not a Graziella. That was a Marcfi machine and the sight glass top nut situation may be different. I do know it's quite different than the Pavoni.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

JLK

#16: Post by JLK »

I found a brass fitting for where the pressure gauge is missing. Filled with water on turned it on. Broiler got hot and no leaks. Do you think u could try to pull a shot? Not for taste.

nuanced

#17: Post by nuanced »

..... on the la graziella pressure gauge [?] / in HB search type > la graziella pressure gauge install < .... for a permanent placement of gauge .....

JLK

#18: Post by JLK »

Well I found a pressure gauge at Goodwill to put on my Riviera espresso machine. So far, no leaks.
It seems the pressure gets up to about 180psi and then the yellow light goes off. I am assuming that means it's ready to pull a shot.
I am attaching a video of me pulling a shot,without espresso, to see if the machine worked. Would love to hear some feedback.
http://youtu.be/0154AW14Os8

drgary
Team HB

#19: Post by drgary »

Jerry,

It looks like your machine is working just fine. There's a lot of beginner info to learn to translate that functionality into pulling a good tasting shot and skillfully steaming milk. For starters we generally install steam gauges that measure pressure in bars (0.8 to 1.0 may be right for your machine). You can find online tables that translate from psi. If temp/pressure needs adjustment that's done with the pressure switch under the machine. To get a sense of the shot pulling process you may want to read my extended review of the Elektra Microcasa a Leva in The Bench forum. That machine works similarly.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

JLK

#20: Post by JLK »

Thanks for the info, Gary! I had a feeling I had the wrong gauge. It is consistent and the yellow light cuts off every time at the same pressure. I just went out and pulled a shot of espresso. I thought it tasted great. I will school myself in how to get the most out of this machine. Am I thinking right that I should leave this machine along as it seems to be working fine. I'd rather not get into refurbishing if I don't have to do that.
Thanks