Decoding Coffee Lingo

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Coffeepartier

#1: Post by Coffeepartier »

Hello, this is my first post. I'm trying to learn a bit more about my favorite morning beverage.

Is there a way to decipher coffee labels to better understand what we are buying? It seems as if most sellers use ARABICA on their labels. Once upon a time that must have meant something as most supermarket brands may have been primarily ROBUSTA. But now that doesn't guarantee quality. So what does? If Dunkin Donuts, Trader Joes, and the local grocery store offer a Colombian, does origin of bean on the label mean anything? What makes the coffee that one orders from Peets or Batsdorf and Bronson, for example, that much better?

Thanks for your patience. I look forward to reading your replies.

Nate42

#2: Post by Nate42 »

You are correct that labeling as Arabica or naming a country of origin means basically nothing with respect to quality. Most modern roasters of quality coffee will tell you more specific information about the bean (farm or at least region of origin, coffee varietals, tasting notes, etc.). A "roasted on" (not best by) date is also crucial, because freshness is key.

Check out this list of favorite roasters, try some things, and find what YOU like, which is ultimately what matters.

List of our Favorite Roasters

Advertisement
Andy

#3: Post by Andy »

Nate42 wrote:Check out this list of favorite roasters, try some things, and find what YOU like,
List of our Favorite Roasters
+1
And if you live near enough to visit any on the list (or other local roaster) it may be worthwhile to taste their coffees and to talk to them in person.

JmanEspresso

#4: Post by JmanEspresso »

Coffeepartier wrote:Hello, this is my first post. I'm trying to learn a bit more about my favorite morning beverage.

Is there a way to decipher coffee labels to better understand what we are buying? It seems as if most sellers use ARABICA on their labels. Once upon a time that must have meant something as most supermarket brands may have been primarily ROBUSTA. But now that doesn't guarantee quality. So what does? If Dunkin Donuts, Trader Joes, and the local grocery store offer a Colombian, does origin of bean on the label mean anything? What makes the coffee that one orders from Peets or Batsdorf and Bronson, for example, that much better?

Thanks for your patience. I look forward to reading your replies.

Where the roaster gets their coffee from, how much effort they put into sourcing the best quality beans, how skilled the roaster is at roasting those beans, and, how much emphasis they put on fresh roasted being the #1 most important thing for the customer.

IDK if you can get fresh roasted Peets. I know even their supermarket bags are coming with ROASTED ON labels on them now, but all I have seen in my stores in a month old at the best. Honestly that aint bad for the supermarket. IDK if you order from Peets, or go to one of their locations, if you can get fresh roasted. Maybe you can. Peets also happens to favor the dark roast.

Far as espresso goes, I quite like Batdorf & Bronson. Ive had their espresso blends plenty of times, all ordered online. Roasted the day I order, and I get it a few days after, 3 is the norm. Ive only bought single origins a couple times to use for brewing coffee, and my limited opinion was that the coffee was fine. Didnt wow me, didnt make me regret ordering it.

B&B has been around a while and is a very well known AND very good roaster, but for your question, a better example would be, what is the difference between Peets and Intelligentsia, when it comes to ordering coffee. Intelly is well known for their meticulous sourcing of excellent coffees and developing direct trade relations which the specific farmers they want to work with. They currently have two coffees they have offered for several years that i am a big fan of, the Los Delirious and the La Tortuga. If you want an apples to apples comparison, get a fresh bag of one of those and the freshest bag of whatever you wanna get from Peets, brew them up the same way and try them together.

And, I just use Intelly as an example, there are plenty of roasters out there who spend a good deal of time and money sourcing coffee and finding the right roast profile for that bean.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Nunas »

Unless you live near a really good roaster, who you can trust and who will take the time to hold your hand through the process of selecting your favourite coffees and roast levels, try roasting your own. The selection of green coffee from Burman Coffee Traders and Sweet Marias alone will blow you away. You can get started with an SR-500 roaster for far less than a couple of hundred bucks and you'll quickly be able to produce exactly what you seek, which will blow the doors of nearly anything you can get locally, unless you happen to be near one of those rare good roasters. One note of warning though, it gets into your blood and if you're like me you may end up with three or more roasters of various types and a whole new hobby.

Cheers,
Maurice