Olympia Cremina Temperature Study, Part 4 - Page 4

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
naked-portafilter (original poster)

#31: Post by naked-portafilter (original poster) »

[anonymized] wrote:The "Spielzeug" looks stunning!!

Do post your experience with it! Is it easy to get the grinds out, is it easy to set it finer/coarser, is it pleasant to hold and work it even after 5-6 times?
Hi [anonymized],

The grinder was delivered today. No expirience at all with it yet (unpacking, assembling, grinding for a double).

I will tell Michael that he shouldn't sell his grinder to you except he'd like to see it some days later as a motorised version attached to a 50cubic Vespa engine :-).

Seems rock solid and very precise. Needed a second hand grinder which is easier to travel with (even without an elm wood case :-)). As I couldn't buy a Pharos for more than a year I was happy to learn that sy in Europe made this grinder.

#32: Post by naked-portafilter (original poster) »

No final solution for the sealing issue yet but I received another custom made piston rod for the manometer :-). As I learned from drgarys topik (Piston Rod Temperature Probe) there has been a very similar experiment made by alchemist 8 years ago. But the video links in that topik don't seem to work anymore :-(.

Advertisement
drgary
Team HB

#33: Post by drgary »

My piston rod became fully sealed when I added Loxeal thread sealant before screwing the rod into the piston. Once you have it installed that way it sbould work.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#34: Post by naked-portafilter (original poster) »

Thanks Gary! I have to seal the ss bolt and the sensor at the bottom of the piston. This one should withstand 9-10 Bar pressure. The second one above the piston should be easier (only 1 bar), but Loxeal was not sufficient enough. It wasn't much but a steady dripping. The gaps are of course very thight but there is no thread. I can play with it next week again.

day

#35: Post by day »

If you get it working I hope you will consider a shirt production run for us pavoni and Cremona hb users
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

#36: Post by naked-portafilter (original poster) »

@day You mean a piston rod for a manometer?

As I tried to put together the whole group with the sensors one sensor died. That's painfull because I have to order a new one from England. Time...

#37: Post by naked-portafilter (original poster) »

How much heat can take a manometer? It doesn't work :-( (either). Of course it can broken as well. But I don't think they are designed for brewing temperatures. Any experiences regarding this?

Advertisement
OldNuc

#38: Post by OldNuc »

Bourdon tube pressure gauges do not tolerate steam heating at all. They require either a cooling tower or siphon to keep them cool. Figure Fig. 12.6.2 http://www2.spiraxsarco.com/resources/s ... eakers.asp

#39: Post by naked-portafilter (original poster) »

Thanks for the hint Rich! Great information.

Cheers

Gábor

#40: Post by naked-portafilter (original poster) »

Yesterday I considered even giving up all this measuring... The new sensor (a very thin - 0,75mm - and costly one) was delivered. I set the new sensor,glued it (above the piston), reassemled the group and diagnosed a broken sensor set to measure the chamber temperature (the other one).

This thin probes are extremely sensitive. I need them because the one above the pistone have to be bent to get it out of the piston rod. The first one is going straight in the chamber. Luckily I had some spare 1mm thick sensors for roasting. I drilled a bigger hole in the bolt and glued the existing sensor in the piston.

Measuring can start after our holiday, the second week of August :-(.