Afineur fermented coffee (Kickstarter)

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
keno

#1: Post by keno »

Anyone try this new fermented coffee from Afineur? Tried Kopi Luwak once and was not really impressed so I would not really be inclined to try this based on that experience.

But the following caught my attention: "The company uses fermentation to create coffees with low bitterness and astringency so that fruit and other flavors shine."

Afineur's first batch of fermented coffee is available through Kickstarter

jbviau
Supporter ★

#2: Post by jbviau »

I've been following Afineur for a while. My interest was piqued by the science involved. These two are serious. However, there's too much of a focus on process and not enough on the coffee(s) they're using as a base ("Guatemala," according to Engadget) for my taste at the moment. To "elevate the flavor profile" of coffee, you could go down this winding road and attempt to coax magic out of, one assumes, boring beans, or you could simply support the specialty coffee industry we know and love already. Can't bring myself to pull the trigger yet.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

kmyle

#3: Post by kmyle »

Hey everyone, this is Camille, the CEO of Afineur.
The endgadget article is quite sensationalistic and really didn't go into the details. Our goal is to showcase the potential of controlled tailored secondary fermentations for coffee. We're going after a very premium coffee here and we've been working with a really nice Guatemala Huehuetenango Peaberry. Hope this clarifies things! Cheers

jbviau
Supporter ★

#4: Post by jbviau »

Hi there. Well that's what I get for assuming! Glad to hear it.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

keno (original poster)

#5: Post by keno (original poster) »

The proof will be in the drinking. Clearly fermentation during processing can impact flavor - naturals vs washed vs wet hulled. And fermentation during storage, like with monsooned coffees, can also lead to a unique taste, but one that's not for everyone. So it will be interesting to see how a scientific approach can be used to change the flavor profile, as opposed to more traditional methods.

How does the taste of the end product compare to the bean that has not undergone secondary fermentation?

Anyhow, I'm curious to hear more about it from those who have a chance to try it. But I think the cost may prove to be a commercial obstacle. It may be cheaper than Kopi Luwak but it's still 3 times the price of some really fine coffees. :shock:

kaldi61

#6: Post by kaldi61 »

Seems interesting enough to give it a try, and they've already met funding goal. Fermentation is another variable impacting flavor, one we have yet to explore fully.
-Nelson

LMWDP #506 "It's not just for breakfast anymore."

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by samuellaw178 »

jbviau wrote:My interest was piqued by the science involved.
+1

It sounds really interesting. But as a biotechnologist with microbiology background myself, I'm also curious about the 'fermentation' process itself. Surely it isn't about chucking some bacteria on the green beans and expect them to grow and ferment. If some kind of media solution is involved - that will also affect the final taste of the coffee beans - which may not be due to the fermentation process (imagine soaking green beans in water for 2 days before roasting them, they will surely taste different) . It may also bring up the safety concern of the media used (was it derived from food safe products). Also, how one prevents contamination (fungal control especially) as that's a big issue when green coffee has high moisture?

May be all these are trade secret at this stage, which I fully understand. I'm just not too convinced at this moment :P, but it's good to see some new innovation

kaldi61

#8: Post by kaldi61 »

Good point, re: medium. My understanding of fermentation with respect to coffee bean processing, is that the process is used to facilitate removal of a sticky layer that surrounds the green bean. In traditional processing, it's not the bean itself that's fermenting. But that's probably 'primary' fermentation, to differentiate it from what Camille refers to as secondary fermentation. I have looked through the Afineur website, but other than the reference to the article on Kopi, I can't find much into the process. Probably wise, as we're talking a new business with a potentially proprietary process.

If we are talking about a secondary process, a medium shouldn't be necessary. The green bean, from my understanding, is at least half carbohydrate. but how does one get yeasts to act on a sugar within a bean? I suppose that's the magic here.

As a new Afineur backer, I'll post when I've cupped. At least now I can stop forcefeeding the neighbor's cat to obtain my own home-grown Kopi. :lol:
-Nelson

LMWDP #506 "It's not just for breakfast anymore."

kmyle

#9: Post by kmyle »

Hello everyone,
Sorry for the delay it's been a bit of a crazy day ;) But I'll try to come here regularly to discuss the project. We're still a really young startup and it's just me and Sophie getting things off the ground (and our advisors, including James Hoffmann, whom I'm sure some of you may know) You'll understand that there are things I can't discuss in details but @kaldi61 resumes pretty well the process. Thanks everyone for the interest and support - much appreciated! Cheers Camille
PS: if you don't see me here, feel free to reach out on twitter. I'm at @delebecque and usually pretty reactive.

jyounk

#10: Post by jyounk »

Interesting, naturals are kind of fermented which produces the fruity and Jammy flavors many folks love. I have also tasted naturals that were absolutely revolting though. For me, it tends to be polarizing. I either love it or hate it.