Redesigning Brewtus IV

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
pcivic

#1: Post by pcivic »

So first the story,

started with Saeco Poemia (added PID) and soon after that San Marco SM90 followed. After few months of trying to get some decent espresso or cappa decided that I need way better machine.

The first dilemma was of course which machine to get. Budget was quite tight. So i was chosing betwen Quickmill QM67 and Brewtus IV.
After few weeks of sleepless nights decided on Brewtus IV vibration because of much bigger boilers, HX preheated water to brew boiler, and the newer version for EU market had 2000W heating elements, so steaming performance is even better than 2,3 l HX Nouva Simonelli Oscar, of course with non stock 4 hole steam tip (single hole stock tip is SLOW).

But later on the looks of Brewtus were not good enough anymore and ULKA was not my type of simphony anymore, so the moding has started.

Here is how it all loked like:

HERE IS HOW IT LOOKS TODAY:

pcivic (original poster)

#2: Post by pcivic (original poster) »

First change was PF spout:

Together with Rancillo single PF

in action

Also added a plug on PF becouse Expobar PF comes without it:

pcivic (original poster)

#3: Post by pcivic (original poster) »

I didn't like the looks of SM90:

So I polished the frame (together with another PF from Rancillo) :

pcivic (original poster)

#4: Post by pcivic (original poster) »

Another project followed, that took me away for few months this time not coffe related:

pcivic (original poster)

#5: Post by pcivic (original poster) »

That I really had it enough with ulka pump noise! Decided to go on rotary, but also wanted bigger water reservoir:

But there was a problem! Higher flow rate, so the change of Gicleur followed soon after:

pcivic (original poster)

#6: Post by pcivic (original poster) »

One group machine testing at my friends:

TO BE CONTINUED! :D

pcivic (original poster)

#7: Post by pcivic (original poster) »

It was time to get big flat burr grinder, Mazzer Major:

pcivic (original poster)

#8: Post by pcivic (original poster) »

Almost a year after I got brewtus I realized that looks are more important to me than I thought in begining. I had 2 options, to get new machine or to make Brewtus IV nicer. I was really happy with machine so far and wanted to have something unique. So the project of redesigning Brewtus IV begin.

Prosumer E61 dual boilers are apart from looks basicaly similar machines although many argue which is much better than other :) But they are very rarely equipped with joystick steam valves. I decided to get ECM technika IV profi ones.

I also changed steam boiler operation light with much nicer one from ECM with chromed ring.

And since ECM E61 lever action handle atracted my attention I replaced it with stock E61 as well.

Brewtus was much better looking for my eyes now:

pcivic (original poster)

#9: Post by pcivic (original poster) »

First try of joysticks (I needed to get used to burn me steam wand):

And before after:

But there was still something missing, but at that point I didn't know what.

pcivic (original poster)

#10: Post by pcivic (original poster) »

Experimenting with steamtips. Maybe to much, don't know :)
I've got steaming times as low as 20 s for 2 large capas, but since in home enviroment it is not so time critical I settled on fast but not fastest steam tip. Currently using ECM 5 hole steam tip, it is fast but easy! With adapter I can fit all tips from previous brewtus no burn wand if needed.