Nuova Simonelli Beach - Headscratcher, Help Requested - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
cuppajoe (original poster)

#21: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Hi Sam -

Here's the Gicar.

Near as I can tell it only controls the auto fill, as the only leads coming out of it are power in, the two to the fill solenoid, and the fill sensor. The only unpopulated tap on the Gicar seems to switch on when #7 switches off, which goes to the fill solenoid.

The water inlet goes to a block, which then routs it to the HX and the boiler. The HX is always fed and sends the heated water to the OVP thing, where it is then routed to the group solenoid and the hot water tap. From the same block it is also routed to the convoluted system to feed the boiler either through the fill solenoid or manual fill tap.

Again, see nowhere to insert a pump or a means to control one.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

#22: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Here's the only manual I could find, it's both for the Elli(precursor to the Beach) and the Beach. The Beach is the auto version, which would need the pump to run the dosing flow meters.

Unfortunately the manual is a PDF, so here's a link to the Nuova Simonelli US site. Scroll down to the Beach-Elli link.- http://www.nuovasimonelliusa.com/older_models.html
David - LMWDP 448

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by samuellaw178 »

Hmm, the manual is pretty hopeless as you said. :P

Looked at the Gicar but not sure how to work that out (and not 100% sure what goes where based on pictures, it's really convoluted). Hopefully someone that knows the machine will chime in. But this is a worthy puzzle to solve for sure.

Let's take a more simplistic approach, try to reverse-track the wiring (maybe you've tried that?)- Where does the brew switch leads to? Does it go to the Gicar(it's not obvious to me in the pic)?

In order to flow water through the group - normally two conditions need to be met when the brew switch is pressed (i) group solenoid receives power (ii) pump receives power. (am I right to assume there's no automatic dosing?)

If all else fail, you can always add your own wiring to meet these two condition, and it'll work even without going through the Gicar.

#24: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

The brew switch is a simple on/off affair that energizes the group solenoid and nothing more. The only thing the Gicar seems to control is the fill solenoid.

As an off board pump will basically just do what line pressure does, tho with a bit more control, there seems to be no point in it. The only way I can see to separate the boiler fill pressure from the brew pressure is to insert a pump into the HX stream. Have been toying with the idea of splicing a pump into the cold side feed for the HX to the boiler and having it triggered by the brew switch.

The idea of having something in the kitchen with 9 bar pressure going to it, with only a solenoid between it and a potential flood, makes me a tad uneasy....
David - LMWDP 448

#25: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Finally moving again on this thing. Gianni at Elektro's came up with the last NOS dispersion plate in the Nuova Simonelli warehouse, along with a shower screen and screw.

Tried splicing a vibe pump in the HX circuit, but it was a no-go. Re-assembled it all back to original and tried it with just line pressure. Son-of-gun, this was the result -

Tried kludging a manometer to the PF and got a brief reading of 7 bar before the hose exploded off the spout. Keeping an eye open for an Elli PF with screw on spout to get something that will work to adjust the OPV. Then will try and scare up a cheap outboard pump setup.

Again, a big thank-you to Gianni, and highly recommend Elektro's for NS parts no matter where you are located.
David - LMWDP 448

ira
Team HB

#26: Post by ira »

It doesn't look brazed in that picture, are you sure the cross bar does not come off? It sure like like that's how it was designed to work. I would not want to have been the person brazing it after the glass was installed, to likely to break the glass or cook the o-rings.

Ira

#27: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Hi ira -

Guess you are referring to the water level gauge. It came off as an assembly with blobs of something attaching the end caps to the bar. It had been chromed as a single unit, so some sort of solder/brazing/whatever seemed the likely suspect. It took dropping the thing to dislodge the end caps, and the chroming seam was apparent on the two parts, with the base metals showing where the chrome didn't reach. Maybe some sort of JB Weld material. Whatever it was it was plateable.

Installing the glass after the thing was assembled would not have been a problem. Removing it however...
David - LMWDP 448

#28: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Noe that the machine is sorted, time to figure out the pump situation. Picked up an Ulka motor and Procon assembly. Motor worked and pump seems to work well after a cleanup, bearings are smooth.

Now to figure out the fittings to hook pump to regulator and machine. I have a stainless for going from pump to machine, and will try running John Guest to the pump, as the regulator is already Guest plumbed thru the softener.
David - LMWDP 448

#29: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Well, time for the wrap party. Got the pump sorted and adjusted to 9 bar.

I t'd off the leads going to the group solenoid from the switch to activate the pump motor. No pretty, but get's the job done.

Second attempt at both espresso and a cappuccino.

After using it a week or so after this both are coming together. Stuck a toothpick in one of the steam tip holes and micro foam is much easier.
David - LMWDP 448