2015 Yemen Marqaha - Page 5

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Boldjava

#41: Post by Boldjava »

Rick, the profile mirrors what I did. I think you will enjoy that. Pour over? Shoot for a 1:50-2:00 drop; espresso, 2:10.
-----
LMWDP #339

rgrosz

#42: Post by rgrosz »

Roaster - Hottop B-2K with variac and TC4C

Based on BoldJava's hint, I targeted a drop at 1:45 after start of first crack, or temp of 1C+25 F. Thirty seconds after first crack started, I reduced the heat to 50%.
Charge weight 195g
Charge temp ET 375 F  
Turn point     1:04 - 202 F
First crack    8:10 - 374 F
Drop           9:55 - 401 F
Yield          166g
Weight loss    14.9%
Quakers - none

NOTE - my thermocouples read 30 degrees low ... st others.
EVALUATION
I'll let this rest a few days, and try it Sunday morning.
LMWDP #556
Life is too short to drink bad wine - or bad coffee

rgrosz

#43: Post by rgrosz »

We had this in a vac pot this morning, and it tasted like a near miss. Somewhat interesting, but I definitely roasted this a bit too far. I have little experience with roasts that hit first crack at 8 minutes!

I had this as a post-lunch espresso, and it was wonderful. Next time, I'll shoot for a drop at about 1:30 after 1st crack starts.
LMWDP #556
Life is too short to drink bad wine - or bad coffee

GregR

#44: Post by GregR »

Not at all what I wanted to do at the end of the roast- the temp kinda took off on me, and the time to 300F was a little longer than what I was hoping for but wow- the shots from this are incredible. And forgiving- I was way off on the grind on the very first shot but it was still incredibly rich and intense. With so much room to improve this is one awesome coffee :D

Boldjava

#45: Post by Boldjava »

GregR wrote:...but wow- the shots from this are incredible. And forgiving- I was way off on the grind on the very first shot but it was still incredibly rich and intense. With so much room to improve this is one awesome...]
Time to 300? I think it will surprise you and give a good cup. I wouldn't worry about it. I rarely go after a Yemen until day 5.

Nick hid some of this on me and I just found the greens last week. Time to roast some more and find the best profile to enhance those fruits and delicate florals.
-----
LMWDP #339

drgary
Team HB

#46: Post by drgary replying to Boldjava »

Looking forward to that. My best roast so far was amazing the day after and then faded quickly. At its best instead of fruits and florals I got exotic spices.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

yakster
Supporter ♡

#47: Post by yakster »

My second roast slipped into second crack on me as I was hitting cool on the Behmor. Since Bold|Java said it'd be good for espresso, I decided to treat myself with a affogato today on my Faema Faemina... it was delicious. I'll be watching my next roast more closely and looking at more of a declining ROR after first.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

jalpert

#48: Post by jalpert »

My best roast of this bean so far is still the SSFF ultralight roast I did, 10% development. It tastes like candy. Frankly the flavor is so powerful, I got a little burned out after drinking 1lb and didn't roast it again until a month later.

Boldjava

#49: Post by Boldjava »

jalpert wrote:... Frankly the flavor is so powerful, I got a little burned out after drinking 1lb and didn't roast it again until a month later.
Though not with the Yemen, I am that way with Ethiopian naturals. I will drink them for about 4 days and off they go to my son/in/law. 4 days is plenty and I am digging in the cupboards for a quality washed Guat, Colombian, or anything but a natural.
-----
LMWDP #339

Boldjava

#50: Post by Boldjava »

A vote of confidence comes in for Bodka's browning the bean from http://www.cornerofthecafe.com/bodka-co ... d-marqaha/.

Nicely roasted, David W.

DB
-----
LMWDP #339