Blown away by coffee experience

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
genecounts

#1: Post by genecounts »

Spent several days at Biltmore Estate last week and on way out Friday wanted to make up for lost time. Had been coffee deprived for several days. Knowing Asheville was an east coast coffee hotspot and not being able to visit outside Biltmore had left me antsy and anxious.
Turned down all of the estates coffees Friday morning.

Mountain Aire and Marshall Hance had been on my mind constantly. The highlight was Waking Life Espresso over on Haywood. The only coffee they had on their shelves was Mountain Aire.
Since Judy was in an idling car outside ordered two to go. First their Nitro advertised as "flash chilled". Lots of bling here but they do get a dollar more than regular iced coffee. It was fairly good but, for me, just a foreboding sense of artificiality here.

As we headed North alternately sipped from each container. The Nitro was good but the DP Chelchelle really blew me away. Wow. This stuff is alive with flavor. From the aroma to the chocolate background to the lemon nuances it really got to me.

Glad I brought a bag home as I have a smile on my face this AM. Duplicated their barista as my V60 came thru. Life is good.

Advertisement
googs185

#2: Post by googs185 »

Are these all Asheville coffee places? I'll be heading down in October, so I'd like to try some out.

genecounts (original poster)

#3: Post by genecounts (original poster) »

To be fair didn't hit up many places in Asheville. By word of mouth and the fact that that Walking Life featured Mountain Aire coffee sold me on going there. Knew that Marshall Hance at Mtn Aire roasts great coffee. Marshall and I used to compete in roasting years ago.

Definitely get off to a good start when you visit. Start at Walking Life first.