Getting Brooks seals to fit on a Caravel (v1) piston? - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
[creative nickname] (original poster)

#11: Post by [creative nickname] (original poster) »

Yes, the brooks seals fit more securely and give a tighter seal with the piston chamber wall.
LMWDP #435

spiffy

#12: Post by spiffy replying to [creative nickname] »

Thanks - do you remember how much shipping was? I think I emailed to ask a few days ago and haven't heard back.

CrabRangoon

#13: Post by CrabRangoon replying to spiffy »

I couldn't quote my figure for shipping (my box arrived Monday) but I can say that he was repeatedly quick to reply each time I emailed him. He also gave me a much friendlier price by email than if I were to have clicked through & checked out on his webshop, but this could have been a convenience for ordering multiple items so YMMV.
LMWDP #505

[creative nickname] (original poster)

#14: Post by [creative nickname] (original poster) »

I looked it up in my email and I think it was $22 including shipping.
LMWDP #435

spiffy

#15: Post by spiffy »

[creative nickname] wrote:I looked it up in my email and I think it was $22 including shipping.
Awesome, going to place an order as soon as I hear back from him - thanks!
CrabRangoon wrote:I couldn't quote my figure for shipping (my box arrived Monday) but I can say that he was repeatedly quick to reply each time I emailed him. He also gave me a much friendlier price by email than if I were to have clicked through & checked out on his webshop, but this could have been a convenience for ordering multiple items so YMMV.
The webshop just gives me an "email me" button, hopefully it doesn't mean he's out of stock.

CrabRangoon

#16: Post by CrabRangoon »

spiffy wrote:The webshop just gives me an "email me" button, hopefully it doesn't mean he's out of stock.
I can't imagine they're all out since it was the single piece of kit my order was waiting on. He must have just received a fresh batch of seals last month, and shipping via DHL had it to me quicker than I'd expected. He should have you squared away in no time at all.
LMWDP #505

spiffy

#17: Post by spiffy »

He got back to me quickly this time (maybe it's better to e-mail than use the web form), and I placed an order. Kind of eyeing the bottomless portafilter too...

spiffy

#18: Post by spiffy »

Took roughly a month for the seals to get to Vancouver. Had a heck of a time getting them on, and eventually took inspiration from Jon earlier in this thread (Thanks Jon!).

I used a vise instead with hardwood blocks. I clamped down the piston without pinching the seals, then used a bicycle tire lever to persuade the seals into place.

ripvanmd

#19: Post by ripvanmd »

Man. Just got mine. Channeled rage and brute force. That's what did it for me.