La Marzocco GS3 MP Strada ~ Vesuvius in the cups

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Compass Coffee

#1: Post by Compass Coffee »

Had the GS3 MP Strada a couple weeks or so now. I've pulled some of the best shots of Delirium I have ever had with it. Had the Vesuvius on my kitchen counter over half a hear now. Just pulled a shot of Delirium with the Vesuvius easily on par with the best shot I've pulled on the GS3 MP Strada edging out Cyncra and better than Linea or FB80 or GB5. Other than prosumer class steaming just don't think the Vesuvius can be be beat in the cup for the price, or possibly any price.

Overall I'd still think I'd rather have a gorgeous custom GS3 MP Strada or Slayer on my kitchen counter though instead of boxy chrome Vesuvius! Maybe some day. Ok I'll say it most highly likely some day and probably not that far off. My excuse will be Vesuvius only ok steaming. And I'll admit a weak excuse since I only steam for a cap at home on weekends and Vesuvius easily start shot, steam for cap, stop shot no problem. BUT I do much prefer commercial steam power and the easier texturing that comes with it!
Mike McGinness

OldmatefromOZ

#2: Post by OldmatefromOZ »

I would be interested to read the shot profiles you used for both machines.

Thanks

Advertisement
drgary
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary »

I will add this to Mike's observation. I tasted a shot of his Delirium that was absurdly dialed in on the GS/3 MP Strada, and I've tasted what he's able to do with the Vesuvius. There is a big difference in shot quality when these pressure profiling machines are dialed in. I'll have to do a head-to-head one of these days with the Conti Prestina, but the difference is that's a manual process, compared to the Vesuvius, which is completely programmable.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

tohenk2

#4: Post by tohenk2 »

drgary wrote:I will add this to Mike's observation. I tasted a shot of his Delirium that was absurdly dialed in on the GS/3 MP Strada, and I've tasted what he's able to do with the Vesuvius. There is a big difference in shot quality when these pressure profiling machines are dialed in. I'll have to do a head-to-head one of these days with the Conti Prestina, but the difference is that's a manual process, compared to the Vesuvius, which is completely programmable.
Ok - I read this, blinked and read it again. Sorry but I don't think I get what you are saying. I understand that the pressure profiling on the GS/3 MP Strada is manual (as it would be on a Slayer) and that it is programmed on the Vesuvius. Those are different techniques of getting what you want. Each with pro's and con's no doubt. But what is the big difference you tasted in shot quality?
Compass Coffee wrote:Just pulled a shot of Delirium with the Vesuvius easily on par with the best shot I've pulled on the GS3 MP Strada edging out Cyncra and better than Linea or FB80 or GB5.
If I read Mike's post correctly he thinks the shot are on par ... something that also was expressed in the review by Dan. So ... you just made me extremely curious :D

I'm toying with the idea of getting the Vesuvius. in fact I have an appointment to go 'play' with one this week (but I think that will become next week or so since I didn't hear anything anymore about specific times from the shop). If the shots are better for you two on the Vesuvius than they are on a GS/3 and more consistently so - well, it would nudge me a bit more toward the Vesuvius. Although in Dan's review it narrowly lost from a G3/S and again lost firmly from the Pro 700. (I will of course compare it to my own machine, a Bezzera Galatea Domus.)
Also I will be looking for the front panel and welding issues. You didn't seem to notice or care to much, so again I'm curious as to what I will see and think of the machine when I see it in real life. (In the end I guess I will have to make up my own mind :roll: *sigh* so much easier when somebody says "that is the best" and is right forever and everyone. :wink: )

Mrboots2u

#5: Post by Mrboots2u »

To get the best from the Vesuvius , you need to grind finer and pre infuse longer . the taste test with the Profitec used the same grind and dose for each machine.. i don't think it played to the best of the V features in the cup ....
A Slayer doesn't manually pressure profile , it works on , low flow rate ....
The Vesuvius is more easily repeatable on pressure profiles ( in my limited experiece of using both ).
The gs 3 steams alot better , and is it can be more fun to use a paddle , if not repeatable ....and it also more ergonomic

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

tohenk2 wrote:Ok - I read this, blinked and read it again. Sorry but I don't think I get what you are saying. I understand that the pressure profiling on the GS/3 MP Strada is manual (as it would be on a Slayer) and that it is programmed on the Vesuvius. Those are different techniques of getting what you want. Each with pro's and con's no doubt. But what is the big difference you tasted in shot quality?
Sorry, to restate things: A Vesuvius does pressure profiling that is programmed. Mike tells me its shot quality is equal to the GS/3 MP Strada. Mike pulled a shot of his Delirium blend on the GS/3 that was amazingly good, so I can attest to that pressure-profiled shot quality. The GS/3 is manual, but Mike certainly had repeatable control over it, although he said the controls were sensitive to the slightest change. The Vesuvius would probably be your better choice for consistent shot quality. The GS/3 is a true commercial machine with better steaming capacity, and it looks much sharper.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Compass Coffee (original poster)

#7: Post by Compass Coffee (original poster) »

Indeed my point was the Vesuvius was up to the task of matching straight shots pressure profiled with the GS3 MP Strada. As far as repeat-ability with the GS3 MP Strada goes shots can be very repeatable depending on skill level. In some ways the GS3 MP Strada shots are easier to repeat (for the experienced) than programmed Vesuvius shots because you can tweak pressure on the fly the GS3 MP Strada and cannot with the Vesuvius.

To answer the ? Vesuvius profile for singing Delirium is:
Acceleration 400
15 sec 2 bar, 5s 12b, 20s 9b, 10s 5b (actual profile 15s 5b then drops to 10s 3b but manually killing about 10s 5b)
~18g dose ~38g yield
Delirium 11-12 day rested
Mike McGinness

Advertisement
tohenk2

#8: Post by tohenk2 »

Thanks for the answers - at least I think I understand now :)

Adjusting things on the fly can and will be an advantage and fun for someone who absolutely knows what she/he is doing. But ... if you know what you are doing I expect it will hardly be necessary to make large timing adjustments from one shot to another on the espressomachine itself during the shot. As will be the case with more things. Like on a Slayer you set the pre-brew pressurevalve more or less once and forget it - at least I don't think you don't tinker with it much between shots. 'Even' on my machine I get the single shot (30ml) in a regular time (around 25 sec.) from 10.5gr of coffee.

So if I get a Vesuvius (BIG if) I fully expect to tinker around with temperature, flowrates and pressureprofiles in the beginning - but later on? Not if I have a result that I think is very good. (BTW at the moment I do have good drinks in my cup :mrgreen: ) If that is not the case anymore, or if I try to get different results form (new) beans - then yes I will finetune things. I think we all allready do so, but just not with as much variables to control.

Is
Compass Coffee wrote:Acceleration 400
15 sec 2 bar, 5s 12b, 20s 9b, 10s 5b (actual profile 15s 5b then drops to 10s 3b but manually killing about 10s 5b)
~18g dose ~38g yield
Delirium 11-12 day rested
Is Acceleration a unit of the flowrate?
You manually kill the extraction based on? blonding? weight? volume?

Mrboots2u

#9: Post by Mrboots2u »

Neither machine Vesuvius as stock or gs3 strada mod will flow profile
If you want to flow profile you are looking at more mods and needle valves/pumps to the gs3 , i don't think it can be done on the Vesuvius
Changing the pump acceleration wont impact signifcantly on flow profile ( ive tried )
You can reduce flow profile by changing the jet on the Vesuvius to a smaller one ...There is one variable in the Vesuvius menu, when tinkered with, effects the flow rate , but it is fixed across the whole extraction and starts to effect the total pressure reached when put too low

tohenk2

#10: Post by tohenk2 »

Mrboots2u wrote:Neither machine Vesuvius as stock or gs3 strada mod will flow profile
Thanks for clearing that up as well Martin.
So the "Acceleration" is what? A unit that says something about the time needed to increase/decrease pressure?