BT and ET

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
BenRedikFyFasan

#1: Post by BenRedikFyFasan »

Good evening everyone

This may be a silly question but I'll ask anyway. On my roaster there are two thermocouples. One in the front of the drum/ bean mass, and one on the top of the roaster/exhaust.
When I see other roast profiles or roastlogs, the ET temp are always higher than BT temp, but on my roaster its the opposite. Why is this?
Say I charge a 1200 grams batch at charge temperature 124-105 Celsius(BT-ET) the ET always stays below the BT! Answers would be appreciated.

Best
BRFF

Almico

#2: Post by Almico »

I think BT is the exhaust t/c.

BenRedikFyFasan (original poster)

#3: Post by BenRedikFyFasan (original poster) »

I also thought that, but I removed the front probe
and that one was connected to the BT meter.

SJM

#4: Post by SJM »

Are you using Artisan?
If so, check this page (Extras) where you have the option of changing ET to BT and vice versa.
If that first box is checked, uncheck it and see what happens.

#5: Post by BenRedikFyFasan (original poster) »

My concerns around this is that there's something wrong with the roaster, since I've never seen anyone else with ET lower than BT.

#6: Post by BenRedikFyFasan (original poster) »

I use Artisan yes, but I don't see how that would help? I already know that the probes are connected to the correct meter.

SJM wrote:Are you using Artisan?
If so, check this page (Extras) where you have the option of changing ET to BT and vice versa.
If that first box is checked, uncheck it and see what happens.

<image>

SJM

#7: Post by SJM »

Okay.....
See if someone else has a better idea.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Nunas »

I had a similar problem with my Quest M3 when I first installed the thermocouples. I use a meter that reads the probes and passes the data through to the computer running Artisan. I was VERY careful hooking everything up just right and double checked. On my meter everything read out correctly. But my curves on Artisan were reversed, like I think yours are. Then I found out that the later versions of Artisan (I'm using the latest) reversed the ET and BT compared to the earlier versions that I was used to. IOW, on the old Artisan probe 1 was the BT and probe 2 was the ET; but now it's the other way around. Simply reversing the connections sorted that all out. You should be able to spot the true BT curve on Artisan by watching for the sudden drop in BT when you charge the beans. It drops like a rock while the ET curve moves much more gradually. If I have enough heater current running ET does not drop at all.

dustin360

#9: Post by dustin360 »

BenRedikFyFasan wrote:Good evening everyone

This may be a silly question but I'll ask anyway. On my roaster there are two thermocouples. One in the front of the drum/ bean mass, and one on the top of the roaster/exhaust.
When I see other roast profiles or roastlogs, the ET temp are always higher than BT temp, but on my roaster its the opposite. Why is this?
Say I charge a 1200 grams batch at charge temperature 124-105 Celsius(BT-ET) the ET always stays below the BT! Answers would be appreciated.

Best
BRFF
Take a photo of where the ET probe is and post it here. Im sure that will clear things up.

SJM

#10: Post by SJM »

Nunas wrote: Simply reversing the connections sorted that all out.
Checking the first box on the EXTRAS page would have accomplished the same thing without touching the connections themselves, which is why I suggested to the OP that he look to see if that box had been checked somehow.