"Evaluating" Vs. Standard Cupping - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
thepilgrimsdream

#11: Post by thepilgrimsdream »

I used to do music production, we used Yamaha NS-10 speakers which sounded very flat and boring. Once you made a great mix on these bland sounding speakers, you would know that it would sound excellent on great sounding speakers.

I am not saying that cupping is bland, flat and boring, but when you know you have a good cup, you can be confident that it will shine even more once brewed.

Aside from french press, I don't trust that my brewing techniques give me as consistent results as cupping.

weavdaddy

#12: Post by weavdaddy »

*bump*

I have not yet learned to cup effectively. This along with the fact that the folks I know are fairly simple make the cupping vs brewing discussion very pertinent to my future as a roaster. I test each roast via french press and Chemex, and log the results. I feel like I can relate better to customers who usually brew drip coffee but are interested in trying other easy methods.

As ignorant as I am re cupping and palate I can't (and won't) say that brewing is a better evaluation. It's just what works for me, for now. I do look forward to learning how to cup!