Paradise Roaster's Espresso Nuevo

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
LukeFlynn

#1: Post by LukeFlynn »

Do you like RedBird's espresso? If you answer yes to that question, I'm confident you will also love/like Paradise Roaster's Espresso Nuevo. This espresso is wonderful. This blend is the face of sweet and cocoa, it made a delicious cappuccino and latte, extremely smooth. Typically with RedBird I notice I have to pull ristrettos in order to get something palatable, not the case with Nuevo, straight in the machine with a 20gram dose and I had goopy, syrupy espresso flowing, the pour lasted about 25 seconds and tasted great, keep in mind this is only 3 days post roast. Being it's so dark, I was pleasantly surprised it didn't have any over intense roasty bitter flavors so early on that I sometime experience with dark coffees. This is simply my initial impression, I will be posting more later after the coffee has had a chance to rest some more. Until then, I highly recommend you go out and buy a 5lb bag of this stuff for $50 shipped.

brianl

#2: Post by brianl »

haha, thanks for the tip but you sound like a salesman. I have gotten some miracles from redbird once in awhile but not having to pull ristrettos all the time intrigues me.

jfrescki

#3: Post by jfrescki »

Interesting timing, I just received (and froze) a bag after not having ordered Nuevo in years. I'm now looking forward to it. I'm working on Iron Range right now.

I'm also a long-time buyer/supporter of RedBird, and pull ristrettos as well! My last batch of RedBird I found I needed to pull very cool, which I don't remember previously but coffee and tastes change :) .
Write to your Congressman. Even if he can’t read, write to him.
- Will Rogers

kofi

#4: Post by kofi »

Post by LukeFlynn » 47 minutes ago

Do you like RedBird's espresso? If you answer yes to that question, I'm confident you will also love/like Paradise Roaster's Espresso Nuevo. This espresso is wonderful. This blend is the face of sweet and cocoa, it made a delicious cappuccino and latte, extremely smooth. Typically with RedBird I notice I have to pull ristrettos in order to get something palatable, not the case with Nuevo, straight in the machine with a 20gram dose and I had goopy, syrupy espresso flowing, the pour lasted about 25 seconds and tasted great, keep in mind this is only 3 days post roast. Being it's so dark, I was pleasantly surprised it didn't have any over intense roasty bitter flavors so early on that I sometime experience with dark coffees. This is simply my initial impression, I will be posting more later after the coffee has had a chance to rest some more. Until then, I highly recommend you go out and buy a 5lb bag of this stuff for $50 shipped.
I concur with this assessment of Paradise Roaster Espresso Nuevo. I've been using this particular blend for my espresso for a few years. I have not tried Red Bird beans, so I cannot comment about the difference in flavor.

Espresso Nuevo is listed as a dark roast, but IMO, it is more like a medium/dark roast. The beans are not black and they are not oily either. The flavor profile is not typical of a dark roast. To my palate, it is produces a rich, creamy, sweet, sirupy espresso with underlying flavors or dark chocolate.

I've tried other beans over the years, but I always end up back to Espresso Nuevo.

LukeFlynn (original poster)

#5: Post by LukeFlynn (original poster) »

jfrescki wrote:Interesting timing, I just received (and froze) a bag after not having ordered Nuevo in years. I'm now looking forward to it. I'm working on Iron Range right now.

I'm also a long-time buyer/supporter of RedBird, and pull ristrettos as well! My last batch of RedBird I found I needed to pull very cool, which I don't remember previously but coffee and tastes change :) .
I found the same thing with my last batch of Red Bird as well! I think RedBird is a much better coffee in milk compared to it as straight shots, I would say the same for Nuevo.. I tend to prefer fruitier coffees (a la Hologram) for straight shots. If you haven't tried their Blue Jaguar, you need to try it.. it's extremely good.

brianl

#6: Post by brianl replying to LukeFlynn »

Glad I'm not the only one that noticed that with redbird. I used to get decent shots at 200f but the last roast I had required 195 to be decent.

LukeFlynn (original poster)

#7: Post by LukeFlynn (original poster) replying to brianl »

Not related, but I just realized we both signed up on the same day.. yesterday was our 1 year anniversary! :)

jfrescki

#8: Post by jfrescki »

You're working hard. You both have more posts in 1 year, than I do in almost 6.
Write to your Congressman. Even if he can’t read, write to him.
- Will Rogers

brianl

#9: Post by brianl »

That is crazy Luke. Your mentioning of that made me look up my first post. Who would have thought a trip to Australia would have triggered my HB Journey :lol: . I just hope at least half of my posts are useful to others. :oops:

Nonprophet

#10: Post by Nonprophet »

I just bought their espresso sampler, came in the mail today can't wait to try it in the morning! Only $29.95 and it includes one bag of Nuevo, one bag Classic, and one bag of Iron Mtn. Only $3.45 for shipping.......
"Chop your own wood--it will warm you twice."

LMWDP #522