Article: Coffee's Next Generation of Roasters - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
thepilgrimsdream

#11: Post by thepilgrimsdream »

ds wrote:Nah, its same as old so called 3rd wave... Roasting so light its like you are drinking lemon juice and they call it varietal flavor... Yuk! I am waiting for pendulum to swing back to chocolate, berries and nuts :D
I find that some younger "third wave" roasters roast light with inadequate development time, resulting in an under developed coffee, which is nasty. Also, light roasts tend like higher brew temperatures than most cheap consumer coffee gear produce. I could go on.

I just light roasted a Yirgicheffe Adado. Strongest notes of blueberries I've had yet along with cocoa nibs.....I'd order a bag of coffee from George Howell, see if it changes you're mind

Intrepid510

#12: Post by Intrepid510 »

Those are some nice roasters they are listing, need to try some more of them.

I think the bad rap with light roasts out there are like what you are saying though, just people roasting lighter who don't know what the heck they are doing and can't afford to dump every batch they screw the pooch on. I really enjoy a good light roast with sparkling acidity, that is still super sweet. However, I have had more than one roast from roasters that taste like they could've come out of my Behmor when I pull it too soon, you just get a generic blah taste regardless of origin. Those roasters really miff me, and the people that continue to support them.
The same can be said for dark roasts that go well into 2nd crack.

sutono

#13: Post by sutono »

and...the Chicago Tribune puts it all into perspective. 3rd wave is tiny - fledgling at best. The real battle for the American palate is fought between Dunkin' and Starbucks.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 5598,d.b2w

cmin

#14: Post by cmin »

Intrepid510 wrote:Those are some nice roasters they are listing, need to try some more of them.

I think the bad rap with light roasts out there are like what you are saying though, just people roasting lighter who don't know what the heck they are doing and can't afford to dump every batch they screw the pooch on. I really enjoy a good light roast with sparkling acidity, that is still super sweet. However, I have had more than one roast from roasters that taste like they could've come out of my Behmor when I pull it too soon, you just get a generic blah taste regardless of origin. Those roasters really miff me, and the people that continue to support them.
The same can be said for dark roasts that go well into 2nd crack.
Makes sense, I've literally had maybe 3 lighter roast I liked. Everything else blahhhh, and that included well known roasters recommended on here for that style. Every single one tasted like someone squeezing a lemon, lime etc straight into my mouth X 10 in intensity. I don't see how anyone could like that, but guess everyone has different palates lol. Played with dose, temps anywhere from 200-208, espresso, pour over... all had that insanely off putting tangy taste. I've tried some at shops when traveling as well, no bueno lol. Except for 1 in Cali that did a lighter Yirg that was great as espresso and pour over.

Boldjava

#15: Post by Boldjava »

sutono wrote:and...the Chicago Tribune puts it all into perspective. 3rd wave is tiny - fledgling at best. The real battle for the American palate is fought between Dunkin' and Starbucks.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 5598,d.b2w
Excellent contextualization/reality check of the NAmer coffee scene.
-----
LMWDP #339