Any roasters offering "free shipping" with no minimum purchase? - Page 9

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
brianl

#81: Post by brianl »

SpaceTime wrote:That is a very short sighted conclusion. You need to look at the total out the door price - many of the roasters mentioned here are much more expensive than I have ever paid per pound - free shipping or not.
It's not short sighted at all. I don't buy multiple bags at once so these sellers are usually the cheapest for me. It's simple math. There is no point to arguing with you about it but had to correct your error. Honestly, there is only one place I know that sells 1lb and with shipping its under 20$ and I dislike all of the roasts I've tried from there. You also have to take into consideration 'quality' when complaining about prices. Sure, buying a local bag is the best option/cheapest but that gets boring. Life is just easier for people who like to stick to one coffee for awhile.

Maybe when I find an online roaster with reasonable prices ill reconsider. Most places with no free shipping are around the 18-20$ for 12 oz of the mid tier to great stuff (so that's almost 25$ shipped for 12 oz, which would be more than 1lb from verve and rich and compelling (if prorated). Sure I can find a blend for cheap but I'm mostly interested in auction lots/single origins.

Different priorities, I guess.

Intrepid510

#82: Post by Intrepid510 »

CrabRangoon wrote:Those Ethiopia and Ecuador beans I just picked up are their two lightest offerings at the moment, but TBH their current Kenya is what I just finished and I think it was nearly as light as the Yirg. They offered the Ecuador when I asked what their lightest roast currently was. I don't have a ton of experience with other roasters that may be known for being light (such as Heart, I believe?) so I can't compare them terribly well.

The Ecuador was 18.5g in and 32g out and I'll be trying it some more in the morning.
You are in Austin, how would they compare to Curvee better or worse?

CrabRangoon

#83: Post by CrabRangoon replying to Intrepid510 »

Not a fan of Cuvée, which is a shame since they are so dominantly distributed through town. Cuvees lightest roast is nowhere near as light as these IME. Not wishing to dog Cuvée as they have some very experienced knowledgable staff at their core, but I've just never been impressed by their beans (and have tried plenty) even when pulled by cafes that know what they're doing.
LMWDP #505

Intrepid510

#84: Post by Intrepid510 replying to CrabRangoon »

Awesome I will have to give Barrett's a spin then, my opinion of Curvee mirrors your own. Out of the Kenya, Yurg and Eucador, which has been your favorite?

CrabRangoon

#85: Post by CrabRangoon replying to Intrepid510 »

I'm probably biased but I favor Ethiopian for just about all coffee & espresso purposes. Kenya is my second favorite for espresso, though. Their current Yirg is NP and may be too much as a straight shot for some, but it's ideal for my cortados. Delicious brews as well. Their Kenya was great for both shots and milk drinks. The Ecuador is really great as a shot; really unlike what I'm used to; goes well as a macchiato - seems to get a bit lost in more milk though, so I won't suggest it for cappas. Travis is great to deal with, if you can call & explain your favored brew methods & flavor types he'd be able to shoot you in the right direction.

(Flat Track is the other local roaster who's never disappointed, but their offerings are costlier and their shipping isn't free)
LMWDP #505

jyounk

#86: Post by jyounk »

Ruby has a free shipping with code "WSJ" see link: https://instagram.com/p/3Cm4Qglf2U/?tak ... byroasters

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#87: Post by jbviau (original poster) replying to jyounk »

Nah, the code has expired.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

appalachia

#88: Post by appalachia »

jbviau wrote:Added Flattop, out of Estes Park, CO. Has anyone tried their coffee?
I tried their Acatenango Gesha Reserve. Boring. The roast didn't seem to be pulling anything specific from the bean. Tea-like with stronger flavors rising as it cooled down. It made me want to add cream which is not something I typically do.

They only roast on Monday's and are very upfront about it. Roast date and packaging were present and sufficient.

appalachia

#89: Post by appalachia »

brianl wrote:So I ordered from Copper Horse and received a bag today roasted 4/16 (ordered on 4/20). Guess they don't roast to order but the roaster says the one i ordered (the Colombian on sale now) hits its stride 11 days post roast so we'll see.
Currently drinking their FINCA AURORA XOLHUITZ. Today is better than yesterday to add some validity to your post roast intel. :) Good semi-sweet chocolate chip aftertaste.
I ordered and after several days hadn't received the coffee nor communications otherwise. I contacted them and they said they hadn't roasted yet but would in a couple of days. It showed up but I never received shipping information or otherwise. I don't like the experience of guessing as to whether I've got coffee coming or not. I broke out an emergency Christmas 2014 blend and of course the Copper Horse shows up that day.

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#90: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

Heads up: Populace is celebrating their 5-year anniversary by selling 222-g. bags for just $5 each (today only) with...you guessed it...the usual "free shipping." I dare anyone to try to complain about this deal. ;)
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias