Brew parameters for CCC Big Trouble/Toscano. - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
appa

#11: Post by appa »

F1 wrote:To me CCC real beginners/forgiving blend is Rustico/Hologram..
I dont think its so much that Rustico is a beginner blend as such, as much that its relatively easy to taste what is "unique" about Rustico.

Since low acid/comfort blends (like Toscano) can taste pretty similar, it can take some effort to try to extract or discern any "unique" flavors that you will read in descriptions, etc, even if tastes good under a wide variety of parameters...

LukeFlynn

#12: Post by LukeFlynn »

Typically, I don't worry if it's not the same as on their site.. it always has a similar flavor profile. Sometimes when the coffee is only a few days off rest (a la Redbird) and it has a bitter taste, I'll pull ristrettos..

Advertisement
appa

#13: Post by appa »

Thanks Luke,
Im not sure about the OP, but for beginners
(I was like this too for the first 100 years)
You put alot of weight into the flavor descriptions, so if
you cant match them quickly, you go off on a goose chase.
(Especially if the site doesnt post suggested parameters, which can also be good or bad,
but that is another story)

boost

#14: Post by boost »

Just picked up a bag, roast date 05/12, its 100% Monte Cristo, El Salvador now.

Will report back tomorrow.

StPatrick

#15: Post by StPatrick »

There's a notable coffeeshop where I live that has been using Big Trouble as their primary espresso blend lately. I wouldnt say that its my favorite blend ever, but it's good and they have it very balanced at about 18g in, 34 out. I havent actually played with the parameters myself, so I cant speak to temps or basket specifics; just speaking as a consumer.

IMAWriter

#16: Post by IMAWriter »

Strange. I just purchased a bag (it's green) of CC "Big Trouble" from our local "The Fresh Market." On the back is a little white sticker that says "100% Monte Cristo, El Salvador. Definitely NOT a blend. It says "caramel, nutty" flavors, clean, sweet, low acid.
I've roasted "Monte Crisol" but not Monte Cristo. Have to check my roast records to see if it was El Salvadorian.
The roast date is 5-14. Close enough for my uses. BTW, I really like Hologram. The flowers in the fragrance are intoxicating.