Red Bird Brazil Sweet Blue - Excellent! - Page 4

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
SpaceTime

#31: Post by SpaceTime »

I think the first time I ordered from Redbird I opted for the Blue Jag and Rebird espresso mixes, but once I found out what they were made up of, I just started ordering his Single Origins and mixing them myself to what I liked.... either way, having someone who knows more than I making an espresso blend is also a great route, but I like to tinker / experiment. YMMV>
If I could just like crappy coffee again, it would sure save a lot of time and money!

Balthazar_B

#32: Post by Balthazar_B »

cmin wrote:Always wondered what Sweet Blue and Blue Jag taste like vs Redbird
The Blue Jaguar and Red Bird blends are very different, and I've only had Sweet Blue brewed in a press pot (but within a couple days will have some as espresso). Why not get a pound of each and do some comparative taste tests?

Oh, and I also included some Sidama in my order, so will try mixing a bit into some of the Sweet Blue and see how they work together.
- John

LMWDP # 577

cmin

#33: Post by cmin replying to Balthazar_B »

I have about 4.5lbs of two blends to get through first, no extra room in freezer lol

cmin

#34: Post by cmin »

Ordered Sweet Blue other day, was roasted on the 10th, so 5 day rest should be fine. Gonna try it today, the bag smells damn good.

Balthazar_B

#35: Post by Balthazar_B »

Just noticed that I didn't update this thread on the Sweet Blue - Sidama mix. I found 5 lbs of the former mixed with 1 lb of the latter to be OUTSTANDING (in another thread I think I said it was like Belgian dark chocolate with the slightest hint of raspberry). 5:2 could be even better, and may try that next time (with Sidama, or a similar Ethiopian from Jeff).
- John

LMWDP # 577

cmin

#36: Post by cmin »

I just made some shots/drinks with Sweet Blue, 5 days off roast. 18g in, 30g out, at 197. What parameters are you guys using, as I know in general like Redbird his stuff likes lower temps. But this is pretty good and unique, not the normal deep Brazilian I guess most are accustomed too. So far really like it, seems to get a little lost in milk but still good. And the smell of the bag is awesome and when grinding awesome as well lol, one of the few coffees I've had where it taste damn near what it smells like. Like others said, I get the chocolate notes, but there's this like kinda spicy and nutty kick to it.

canuckcoffeeguy

#37: Post by canuckcoffeeguy replying to cmin »

Yep, it has a chocolate with spice combo for sure. I get my sweet blue from idrinkcoffee. They roast it medium-dark. They describe it as a "spicy chocolate bar". And it tastes like it.

I tend to pull either ristretto or between ristretto and normale. 18g in... 24 to 31 out, depending on how I'm feeling. I brew closer to 200F. I have an HX with Erics thermometer, so I can't program exact temps, but I aim for 200F.