Espresso Shot Glasses, Latte/Cappuccino Cups - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
dominico
Team HB

#21: Post by dominico »

JerDGold wrote:I love the look of the Bodum Pavina double wall glasses, but there are a ton of Amazon reviewers who say they're SUPER fragile
Yes they are fragile, but not "super" fragile. Two of mine have broken. One took a tumble off the back of my scaldatazze at the same time as one of my ceramic cups, they both broke; and another one, of cappuccino size, busted when my coworker decided to press his aeropress into it...

Other than that they have held up rather well and are the cups I tend to use when I make espresso for guests or when I need to see the shot. They keep the shot hot for a goodly while however, so I tend to opt for ceramic cups myself because I like the shot to cool faster.

Why do I prefer my shots to cool faster over better insulated ones? Because heat can mask the more subtle flavors in the coffee (or any liquid) and I have always been one to prefer drinking hot beverages after they have cooled somewhat. I remember as a kid waiting much longer than the other kids to drink my hot chocolate because "it tastes richer and more chocolatey if you let it cool some".
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

shawndo

#22: Post by shawndo »

dominico wrote: Why do I prefer my shots to cool faster over better insulated ones? Because heat can mask the more subtle flavors in the coffee (or any liquid) and I have always been one to prefer drinking hot beverages after they have cooled somewhat.
The double walled glasses are really not good for espresso. Even normal glass ones are really only good for looks. I only use mine when I look at them and feel they are getting neglected!

My best shots are always the ones when I use room temp, thick ACF cups. They dissipate the heat from the espresso quickly, while the crema is still hanging around. That is really the sweet spot.
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

Advertisement
dominico
Team HB

#23: Post by dominico »

shawndo wrote: That is really the sweet spot.
Agreed, +1
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

JerDGold (original poster)

#24: Post by JerDGold (original poster) »

Weeee, just bought a set of Sweet Maria Monkey cups off ebay...4 sets w/ saucers for $40. I hope I did ok, but those monkeys sure are cool looking!

Now to find some better cappa cups, a tulip or two, and hopefully some Danesi.

<----Not feeling frugal today.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by yakster »

Yeah, OE had a great selection of colors too on the Inker cups which I liked... got my Ischia demitasses in yellow and my Mocca cap cups in brown.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

csepulv

#26: Post by csepulv replying to yakster »

Had being the operative word. Anyone know of good sources for getting these nowadays (in US)? Clive has them in brown, but I was hoping for other colors.
Chris

Boldjava

#27: Post by Boldjava »

csepulv wrote:being the operative word. Anyone know of good sources for getting these nowadays (in US)? ...
Two months ago, Barb had a note that they would be restocked in the future, but I can't find that note now.

I have 4 oz ruby red (racing red, Inker named) mocca cups and they are stellar for my cortados. If I didn't have them, I would drop the dime and order overseas (Aus and UK).

-----
LMWDP #339

Advertisement
jfrescki

#28: Post by jfrescki »

jfrescki wrote:If you don't mind the selection, espressozone has some great prices and $5 shipping. There's branded stuff, but also a selection of Nuova Point. I've been hard pressed to find better prices on a set of 6 (which is all they sell).

Actually for $19 I might pick up those "Bristot" cups, they're neat!
So I bought the Bristot branded espresso cups. What great cups, especially for 6 for $19.95! Very heavy, almost as thick as my Inker Tina cups, and the handle is neat and comfortable.

Write to your Congressman. Even if he can’t read, write to him.
- Will Rogers