Can't get 1:2 brew ratio on La Pavoni Europiccola

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
hipporun

#1: Post by hipporun »

So recently I've been weighting my shot volume out to try to get closer to a 1:2 ratio. I always use 12g in the stock double basket. Over the past few days I've been averaging 35-40g out so each morning I drop a few notches on my Vario. This morning I thought I had it; 27 seconds pull, good stream flow and crema, had to put some muscle into the lever but not too much ect. Weighed the shot and sure enough it was 34g... I'm using home roasted beans roasted on my Huky 500. Can anyone help?

RioCruz

#2: Post by RioCruz »

Not sure if this will help, but... Remember, the amount of water given with each pull is fairly fixed with the Pavoni. You can manipulate it a bit with coffee dosage and grind, but that then throws off the taste you are looking for. Lots of people dose at a higher weight, but like you, I prefer the taste derived from the lower 12-13 gms load for the double basket...and about 7-8 gms for the single.

I typically get about a 30 gms shot with 12-13 gms of coffee. That's usually a bit watery for me, so I end the shot before getting to the end of the pull. I normally get a 24-26 gms shot this way...which is right where I like it. Just end the pull early.

Here's an interesting article on shot ratios from around the world that helps give a more global perspective on shot taste: Brew Ratios From Around the World
"Nobody loves your coffee more than you do."
~James Freeman, Blue Bottle

Advertisement
hipporun (original poster)

#3: Post by hipporun (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply. With ending the shot early I'm worried about getting a less balanced cup due to cutting of some of the later extraction. I tried another shot and only let pre infusion go for 1/2-1 second and the shot weight came down to 25g on a full pull. Are there any drawbacks of a infusion as short as this? I know 8-10 seconds is normal on pavonis

day

#4: Post by day »

I think there might be some confusion between "end the shot early" and "the shot is finished before the group is empty"

You do not want to time it so that the full lever action is completed and all water depleted in your goal time, but instead you want to aim for a specific gram output in a desired timeframe-pull your cup then because you have "finished the shot"
And then let the excess water empty. Thats what i do anyway.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

RioCruz

#5: Post by RioCruz »

hipporun wrote:Are there any drawbacks of a infusion as short as this? I know 8-10 seconds is normal on pavonis
How does it taste? That's really the only criterion that counts. A short or standard pre-infusion, or a short or full pull is going to affect the taste one way or the other. Decide which taste you prefer and then just go with that. Each person is a taste standard of one. Celebrate your uniqueness! :)
"Nobody loves your coffee more than you do."
~James Freeman, Blue Bottle