Roasting Competition by Mill City Roasters - Discussion Thread - Page 8

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
chang00

#71: Post by chang00 »

I went to the light side, lengthened the period to 150C to about 8 minutes, and finished at 206C. Hopefully it is a good balance of acidity and body, while preserving the florals.

millcityroasters

#72: Post by millcityroasters »

chang00 wrote:I went to the light side, lengthened the period to 150C to about 8 minutes, and finished at 206C. Hopefully it is a good balance of acidity and body, while preserving the florals.
That's very interesting. What temp did you reach first crack? Also, how did you set your airflow during the first 8 minutes?

S.

chang00

#73: Post by chang00 »

The first 8 minutes the minimum air flow. Open for about one minute between 150C-160C, at drum rotation ~65/min. First crack 192C, minimal vent air flow. At 188C, drum rotation 90/min and gas 50mmAq. Twenty seconds into first crack, gas off and just let the residual heat coast to 206C.

Recently I have been experimenting using drum speed to increase/adjust air flow, instead of the variable vent setting. It makes for a more consistent way to roast to minimize weather variable.

I don't have a Technivorm and wonder how in a SCAA approved brewer it would taste like. I drink mostly Clever or cupping method. I noticed with cupping method higher acidity is a positive attribute, while can be a bit unpleasant with the Clever method.

The previous roast that was about a minute shorter was a bit too astringent. Hopefully this roast is tastier. :D

Boldjava

#74: Post by Boldjava »

chang00 wrote:I went to the light side, lengthened the period to 150C to about 8 minutes, and finished at 206C. Hopefully it is a good balance of acidity and body, while preserving the florals. ...
Excellent image which demonstrates round, swelling, fullness of roasted beans rather than a flat bean.
-----
LMWDP #339

jalpert

#75: Post by jalpert »

That is some creamy bokeh.

[creative nickname]

#76: Post by [creative nickname] »

chang00 wrote:I don't have a Technivorm and wonder how in a SCAA approved brewer it would taste like. I drink mostly Clever or cupping method. I noticed with cupping method higher acidity is a positive attribute, while can be a bit unpleasant with the Clever method.
I rarely use my wife's Bonavita batch brewer, but I ran my best roast through it just to see how it compared with the cupping table. I was surprised at how it amplified the acidity; I think my manual brews have evolved towards higher temperatures and finer grind settings over time as I roast lighter and faster, and this provided a useful check on how it would taste using standard equipment. The resulting cup was still pleasant, but it did emphasize a different aspect than what I liked best on the cupping table. Sadly I don't own three Bonavita brewers so I can't do a blind comparison of my three roasts in that method. I'm still pretty confident that what tasted best on the cupping table would still win in a batch brewer, though.
chang00 wrote:The previous roast that was about a minute shorter was a bit too astringent. Hopefully this roast is tastier. :D
I've struggled against the astringency I get with this bean in all three of my roasts; the best roast mitigates this aspect but does not eliminate it entirely. I'm pretty sure I could kill it off by going slower and deeper, but I'd hate to mute the nice high end I'm getting in my best effort so far. Too bad that I waited this long, as it would be nice to have time to run and taste two more batches and see if I could strike a better balance between the pleasing brightness in the initial sips and the drying notes that emerge in the aftertaste. Sadly I have to head out of town tonight and won't be back in time to taste/post another roast.
LMWDP #435

jalpert

#77: Post by jalpert »

Same for me. I think I burned out some of the complexity and flavor in order to mute some of the astringency. No way I'm making it past the prelim stage, but oh well, I'm really excited to hear how the more experienced roasters solved this one!

chang00

#78: Post by chang00 »

Might dragged on too long before 150C. The acidity is gone and is rather boring. Probably should have kept it shorter like the previous roast. :(

another_jim (original poster)
Team HB

#79: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

I did a very short eight minute and very long fifteen minute test roast, both finishing three minutes after the start of the first crack in the quiet stretch after it finishes. The short roast had a great aroma, but rough acidity and one dimensional flavor; the long roast was much more complex tasting but was slightly flat in aromatics and acidity. Perhaps this cultivar doesn't deserve its poor reputation, but it deserves a finicky one: this ain't no "it's all good" bourbon.

I'm going to throw the dice with a slightly lighter, longish roast. No idea how well that will work
Jim Schulman

roastimo

#80: Post by roastimo »

Roast times and drop temperatures were 11:01 at 201 C, 10:58 at 197 C, 11:49 at 198 C, and 10:49 at 204.5 C. Temperature readings tend low on the equipment. Best balance was the longest roast duration 11:49 finishing at 198 C, number 3 roast. The 4th roast taken to a higher drop T was flat in taste, while the other two were more acidic. My own preference is toward full city, but it is looks as if this coffee will lose the good of it on the way to FC level of roast. Least fuzzy image of beans below.