South Florida specialty coffee shops - Page 3

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
MfYoni

#21: Post by MfYoni »

hey I'd love to help organize a meet up and also took the day and went on a "coffee" crawl from carubu in gables to blue or green door in Stuart. I will happily share my pros and cons on all as long as it doesn't turn into shameless self promotion.

johnny4lsu

#22: Post by johnny4lsu »

Any specialty coffee shops in Orlando? Will be there middle or April for a conference.

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by emradguy »

MfYoni wrote:hey I'd love to help organize a meet up and also took the day and went on a "coffee" crawl from carubu in gables to blue or green door in Stuart. I will happily share my pros and cons on all as long as it doesn't turn into shameless self promotion.

late July, perhaps? I'll be out that way on the last weekend ;-)
johnny4lsu wrote:Any specialty coffee shops in Orlando? Will be there middle or April for a conference.
There are a few on the Coffee Scout app. fwiw, the kiosk at the Disney Transportation Center has done a decent job for me the last few times I've been there. They've got full-on commercial gear and seem to know what they're doing. Disney is in the process of doing the same throughout all their parks and their owned hotels (at least the ones on the monorail line), but the quality hasn't been there in most of the other locations they've upgraded so far (poorly trained baristi).
LMWDP #748

MfYoni

#24: Post by MfYoni »

Funny you ask about orlando...I'm just driving back now drove up for the evening and coffee. Lineage will be for sure the leading way using Josh rating system. Atmosphere try monkey something and credo. If your a fan of Malaysian food I strongly recommend Mamak and then a Vietnamese style coffee across the street. Hope this helps. Checked out the new shpp at the four Seasons too and I guess the Gelato affogado is of not with a lemon basil Gelato.

Anytime you guys would like please let me know and lets have coffee. I always puck up some great things learning from other people that are passionate about coffee.

johnny4lsu

#25: Post by johnny4lsu »

Thanks guys

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#26: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

Great to see you here, Yoni! I'm definitely down for a get-together.

Over Spring Break, I did a bit of a coffee tour as well, though I didn't range quite as far. Hit Cafe Curuba again (nice to see it busy) and also Threefold in the Gables. Re: Threefold, thanks for that tip, Paul; I had fancy avocado toast there and a good macchiato. I would have ordered a straight shot at Threefold if I'd known beforehand that they were featuring two Panther SOEs that day, i.e. no blends. I then went to Panther's Sunset Harbour location to see if they had the BKON brewer up and running yet. It wasn't being used (see here), but I did buy some great off-menu washed Finca Kilimanjaro to work with at home. That's one rich coffee. Finally, I visited Warsaw on their first day. Nice space, and the coffee was better than expected though not wow-worthy. The Kalita [155] brew I tried of Argyle's Kochere featured blueberry and brown sugar notes and definitely wasn't roasty. I'd like to see them include roast dates on the bagged coffee they sell, and let's hope their demitasses arrive soon because I can't stand drinking espresso (or any coffee) from a paper cup.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#27: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

Update: Panther's new Coconut Grove location will open on 5/25. They'll be featuring a BKON brewer for coffee and tea infusions.

Source: http://www.miaminewtimes.com/restaurant ... ek-7625515
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

pShoe

#28: Post by pShoe »

I made it out to panther's new location, and had a brew from the Bkon. Pretty cool to watch, but there was nothing notable about it's results. Very similar to other full immersion/filter brew methods. In addition to tea infusion they list wine infusion as well. The new location is in a cool area, has a nice atmosphere, good coffee, and a friendly staff (A+). Worth noting, they do not have "separate" sitting. For sitting they have a long bench along the wall adjacent to the bar with several small tables that can double for extra sitting, a nice sized bar counter, a counter height table along the front window, and very limited outdoor sitting.

Curuba was closed by the time I made it over that way. I'll have to check it out next time.

cmin

#29: Post by cmin »

Wife works in the Gables so she and some co-workers seem to be going to the Gables location for Pasión del Cielo Coffee, they have a bunch of K30 Varios. She likes it. The new Panther spot is right by a friend's crib.

Bill33525
Supporter ♡

#30: Post by Bill33525 »

Buddy Brew https://www.buddybrew.com/locations/ has recently opened in Sarasota and has several stores in the Tampa Bay area.
For Orlando try http://downtowncredo.com/