Espresso machine for hotel travel? (budget up to $1000) - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Gig103

#21: Post by Gig103 »

yakster wrote:If you don't put the tip of your finger or thumb over the edge of the basket when you knock out the puck in a knock box the basket can come out if it's not held in place with a clip. I've never had a problem holding small baskets in with the tip of my thumb.
Thank you, makes a lot of sense now that you point it out!

Desmo490 (original poster)

#22: Post by Desmo490 (original poster) »

beer&mathematics wrote:
So I don't make coffee in the AM or when I'm in a rush. I'll end with YMMV :P

Man, maybe I should get a spring clip added...

Still waiting for the machine to be delivered....But, I did get a bottomless PF and some spare gaskets from another retailer in Italy. The bottomless PF does indeed have spring clip. We shall see if the oem one has a clip or not...

Advertisement
day

#23: Post by day »

Your going to love it. Levers are just really incredible.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

Gig103

#24: Post by Gig103 »

Desmo490 wrote:Still waiting for the machine to be delivered....But, I did get a bottomless PF and some spare gaskets from another retailer in Italy. The bottomless PF does indeed have spring clip. We shall see if the oem one has a clip or not...
I'm very interested in the results. I had no interest in levers in the past, but this little machine is cool.

peacecup

#25: Post by peacecup »

I kept the box my Export was shipped in, and find it easy to take along even for day trips. Everything needed, including a hand grinder, fits in the box with space to spare. Fits behind the passenger seat. I use a locking strap around the box for security and as a handle. The Export's been around, including pulling some great shots in the stateroom on the Sweden-Finland ferry. If you ever are so unfortunate as to get a desk job it fits nicely on the corner of the desk and takes coffee break to a new level.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

#26: Post by Desmo490 (original poster) »

Thought I'd post an update on this:

I was fortunate enough to have a project nearby, so I got to spend the summer at home. The export has been producing some mighty fine shots for me though. I used the Ceado while at home, and am now using the Lido 2 while on the road. Not sure if I am going to get a Lido E or not, I've been getting good results with the Lido 2 thus far.

I have found that I prefer the shots I get when the PF is NOT on the machine when it's heating up. Shots are too hot when I do that. I also don't put the glass on the warmer. That may change with different beans though. My sister got these for me on my way out west because I forgot to take some with me. There is NO place to buy fresh beans in the town I am working in, so I'll have to pick some more up when I fly home this weekend. Might be able to pick some up in Denver though...I will be flying in and out of DIA.

I picked up a Rigid tool box at HD that fits the Export, Lido 2, and the extras such as a scale, shot glasses, steaming pitcher, tamper etc...
I traveled for three days, about 1500 miles with the box in the bed of a pick-up with no problems....even through the rain.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

peacecup

#27: Post by peacecup »

If you find the shots a little too hot you can turn the p-stat down. I have my down as low as it can go while still steaming well. Probably around 0.8-0.9 bar.
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

Advertisement
yakster
Supporter ♡

#28: Post by yakster »

I do the same with my Gaggia Factory with a bottomless portafilter, don't pre-warm the cup and I have a spouted portafilter that I can put in a water bath and then lock in the machine to bring the group temp down. Nothing wrong with that, I find the shots from the bottomless seem to come out hotter and therefore I don't need to pre-warm the cups.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

drgary
Team HB

#29: Post by drgary »

I knew I'd seen an image of this on the site:

From here:

Portability / Traveling with espresso equipment
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#30: Post by Desmo490 (original poster) »

peacecup wrote:If you find the shots a little too hot you can turn the p-stat down. I have my down as low as it can go while still steaming well. Probably around 0.8-0.9 bar.

Thanks Jack....I haven't messed with the pstat yet. I may adjust it a bit and see if that helps.