Salvatore Compact Lever - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
HBfencing (original poster)

#21: Post by HBfencing (original poster) »

scareyourpasenger wrote:Flushing has nothing to do with shot volume but that is correct that it probably is a 1oz shot volume machine. This is where the use of double pulling the shot comes in to get more volume.

The 1.5oz you are seeing is with crema correct? Depending on the bean this will throw off what you are seeing.

The skipping on the cylinder walls is something that can cause some issue applying pressure and can cause channeling. A video may be required to determine if that is indeed what is happening.
Thanks for the reply. Yes it is with crema. I'll have my daughter take a video of me using the machine tonight but I think everything is probably ok. When I first started using the machine I was getting closer to 2.0 oz (final 1.75 oz since I removed the demitasse out of the way due to blonding) but that was with Cafe Grumpy's Heartbreaker at Day 5). I was measuring the flush amount to see if maybe there was some sort of blockage.

I could use a "fellini" move to get more volume but I'll stick with the one pull. I think Salvatore in his videos is only getting 1.5 oz anyway.

TomC
Team HB

#22: Post by TomC »

To simplify matters, I'd stick with using a scale for all your notations here, so you know the total mass out when talking about shot size. 1.5 oz-2 oz could be a wide range of mass, depending on crema.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Advertisement
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by JohnB. »

pizzaman383 wrote:At 16.5 grams I get a very distinct imprint from the dispersion screen. It is a standard E61 screen.

Evidently Bosco is modifying their version of your group if that's the case. You should definitely try the IMS 200 screen as it will give you 2mm more head space. I swapped back to a standard E61 screen this morning & dosed 18.1g into the HQ14 ridgeless basket. When I locked it in & removed it I could see that the screen was just contacting the puck. Switched back to the IMS screen & no contact before or after the shot.
LMWDP 267

baldheadracing
Team HB

#24: Post by baldheadracing »

JohnB. wrote:Evidently Bosco is modifying their version of your group if that's the case. You should definitely try the IMS 200 screen as it will give you 2mm more head space. I swapped back to a standard E61 screen this morning & dosed 18.1g into the HQ14 ridgeless basket. When I locked it in & removed it I could see that the screen was just contacting the puck. Switched back to the IMS screen & no contact before or after the shot.
This is great info, thanks! (I have the same group as Pizzaman383.)
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

#25: Post by HBfencing (original poster) »

Great info on the screens and baskets noted above.

Check this video out 22 gram vst basket 20 grams dosed almost 40 grams out (wondering if there was an imprint on the dispersion screen):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjvp7DKi_0A

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#26: Post by FotonDrv »

I made some videos on how to clean the Group that you might find helpful.
http://plus.google.com/114270187025716938867/videos
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

Séb

#27: Post by Séb replying to FotonDrv »

Nice videos Stephen, hope you will also add one next time you replace your group seals.

Advertisement
pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#28: Post by pizzaman383 »

Please take note of his comment about bleeding the pressure from the group before taking out the allen screws holding down the top of the group.

I forgot one of the first times I took the mounted group apart and the pressure was stronger than I could hold. I was trying to hold it down but there was enough pressure that it slowly pushed the piston out. I was thinking "Oh, crap!" as I saw it slowly rise :( . As it came out the top there was a massive wet steam explosion and the lever came out. Thankfully, my face was distant enough to not get burned but I got a minor burn on my arm and a few scratches on the group.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#29: Post by JohnB. »

Normally the machine is off & cold when you disassemble the group but you can shut off the water supply from the boiler by closing the flow screw on top of the tunnel.
LMWDP 267

#30: Post by HBfencing (original poster) »

Thanks for all of the replies and am going to purchase some additional baskets. I tried a smaller dose 15g and was able to extract 28/29 grams out in succcessive pulls. Pre-infusion time, grind, tamp, will all have an influence on the final extracted amount. This afternoon I tried the same grind but was only able to extract 20g out. Could be because I changed the pre-infusion time and it was more humid. I've been generally using 10 -12 seconds as pre-infusion but obviously if I start seeing drips right away I'll let the lever up quicker.

Anyhow I also wanted to note that I did hear "spring groan". Not sure what this is indicative of but will perform a search but from what I remember reading Doug at OE recommended some Dow111 on the springs?

From this point on I am going to try to post some detailed pictures about this machine and a video or two so that it can serve as a source of information for on the fence SCL customers. I'm not sure I can answer every question and I don't have a scace so if someone more knowledgeable with equipment wants to contact me in the NY/NJ area we can arrange for testing and pulling some shots. Just want to make clear I am not advocating either way and want to disseminate objective info.