Sudan Rume? Carbonic maceration? - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
aecletec

#11: Post by aecletec »

Yep. A small amount will be available at Dragan Sestic's cafe. I hope to make it in time!

kwantfm

#12: Post by kwantfm »

Chris,

Would you mind asking about availability of green beans please? I'm Sydney based.

Thanks.
LMWDP #602

aecletec

#13: Post by aecletec »

Hi Terence,
It might be worth contacting Sasa or Ona Coffee directly for that, I think there's only going to be 1kg of spro and milk blend each on the bar. I'll ask if I get the chance, though.

kwantfm

#14: Post by kwantfm »

Will do Chris, thanks.
LMWDP #602

jbviau
Supporter ★

#15: Post by jbviau »

Just saw this (Sudan Rume offered by Verve), in case anyone's interested: http://www.vervecoffeeroasters.com/coll ... sudan-rume
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

[creative nickname] (original poster)

#16: Post by [creative nickname] (original poster) »

Thanks for the heads up. I placed an order. I'll post up some thoughts once I get to try it.
LMWDP #435

aecletec

#17: Post by aecletec »

Unfortunately my plans have been cancelled at the last minute, sorry all.

#18: Post by [creative nickname] (original poster) »

My small package of Las Nubes Sudan Rume arrived from Verve last night. It was pretty expensive, but I'm glad I got the chance to try it. The strongest point of this coffee for me, so far, is its gloriously complex aroma; I could sniff this cup all day long. The aromatics carry through well into the taste of the cup, where there is a nice combination of intense honeyed sweetness & citrus/berry acidity, along with some subtler herbal and spice notes. The body is light and silky, and there is a hint of astringency in the finish, but overall this is a lovely coffee. Here are some graphs and scores that I copied over from Tastify:

I'll probably try the Rume as espresso in a day or two, to give it a bit more time to rest.
LMWDP #435

#19: Post by [creative nickname] (original poster) »

I had a few more cups today, and I also got the chance to pull a shot with it. I pushed the extraction a bit higher on the brewed cups, and found the results even more pleasing: the astringency faded away, the acidity was still juicy and clear, and the body filled in a bit. I didn't do a separate scoring, but if I had I imagine the overall cup would have scored a couple points higher, due to improvements in body, aftertaste and balance.

As a shot, though, it really sang. I pulled a single on the Caravel, 12 g in, 24 g out, pulled at around 205F brew temp, ground on the HG-one. It had gloriously sweet, clear citrus, as well as a deep and satisfying body, and a finish that went on forever. It was the high point of my day, and honestly it might be the best shot I have pulled this year. I don't know how much of a difference the carbonic maceration made, but I can definitely see why someone might choose this for an espresso competition. I'm pretty sure that I'll use up most of the rest of this bag pulling shots.
LMWDP #435