John Letoto's Workshops - Greenway Coffee, Houston

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
emradguy
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by emradguy »

The first class is next Monday at Greenway Coffee Roastery

Is anybody else signed up? I'm registered for the entire series. I'll be wearing a coffee-related t-shirt (haven't decided which one yet) and an H-B pin on my baseball cap. I'm hoping to meet some of the people I'm gotten acquainted with on here and CG over the years.
LMWDP #748

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Hi Ron,

I look forward to hearing how it goes. Greenway seems to be doing some very top quality work. I definitely plan on checking them out the next time I hit Houston. Following their team on Instagram is one of the best feeds I watch.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

John's latte art Instagrams are amazing. Make sure to as about lighting and other photo tips for capturing your creations.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

emradguy (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by emradguy (original poster) »

Last night was the roasting and cupping workshop at Greenway. There were 18 of us in the class. John roasted a batch of Rwanda for us, and explained the roasting process, giving us a chance to ask questions. Afterwards, he ran us through a cupping of the Rwanda and a Peruvian bean. Although I've toured a couple of artisan roasteries in the past (Klatch and Nossa), and read a little bit about the process, this was definitely a learning experience for me. Besides that, it was great to get a chance to meet John in person. I feel very fortunate that he is so close, and that he is wiling to give me private latte art lessons. Ah, almost forgot...we got to bring home a 300g bag of the roast he did for our class. :D And I did forget...John said they are getting a Loring soon.

What I probably got most out of the class is an appreciation for the comments Jim Schulman has made about one needing to home roast to fully understand the coffees they drink. I guess that'll be the next phase in my hobby?

Regarding the cupping, it was my first time...despite being a pretty hardcore home espresso and press pot enthusiast for a very long time (I've been pretty serious about both methods for about 10 of my 12 years doing espresso).

Unfortunately, I don't think there were any other H-B members or CoffeeGeeks there.

Next class is "brewing" - two weeks from last night, at Blacksmith Coffee. I hear it's already fully booked for 20 attendees.
LMWDP #748